Mavericks: Keyboard Shortcut - Command + Control + Space

Options
waffl
waffl
Community Member
edited October 2013 in Mac

Hello,
In 10.8-, I used the keyboard shortcut: Command + Control + Space to access 1Password.

In Mavericks, I see Apple has added this shortcut for 'Special Characters'. I've removed the 'Special Characters' shortcut via this tip and still find 1Password does not allow binding to the shortcut with the message:

The key combination "Command + Control + Space" can't be used because it's already used by a system-wide keyboard shortcut. (If you really want to use this key combination, most shortcuts can be changed in the Keyboard & Mouse panel in System Preferences.)

I have restarted 1Password and see the 'Special Characters' item in the menu is cleared of its keyboard shortcut. I have also restarted my computer.

I am using Mavericks 10.9 and 1Password 4.0.5

Comments

• Meek
    Options

Hi @waffl,

Thanks for the question - I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with custom shortcuts!

It appears that Mac OS X did not relinquish the Command+Control+Space keyboard shortcut for Special Characters when it was changed, and we don't have any control over this. Since this is new in Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks, its possible this could change in the future, but for now I'm sorry to say that you will need to use a different shortcut for 1Password.

If there's anything else we can help with, let us know!

• Brad13
    Brad13
    Community Member
    Options

@waffl … Check out Keyboard Maestro (http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/) — Great program that allows you to remap keys on a Mac and much, much more (you can have shortcuts for certain programs, macros, move windows around, and a lot more)

I have Command-Control-Space mapped to something else using Keyboard Maestro and it overrides Mavericks default triggering of the Special Characters window. Also, I mapped a different keyboard combination to bring up the Special Characters window in case I do want to use the emojis. Works perfectly!

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

U see that you simply removed the Mavericks shortcut for Special Characters. Does replacing it by a different shortcut work?

This discussion has been closed.