Using Chrome on two Macs with different OS X versions

alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member

I have an iMac and a MacBook with different versions of OS X. The MacBook has been upgraded to Mavericks whereas the iMac is still on Lion - I am not ready to upgrade the iMac yet. When I installed Mavericks on the MacBook I was automatically prompted to upgrade to 1Password 4, which I did - I also upgraded the browser extension for Chrome at the same time. Now, however, when I use the iMac, the extension will not work as it is not compatible with Lion. Is there any way round this as it does not seem to work with both extensions added either, other than having to upgrade the iMac to Mavericks as well?

Comments

• Meek
    edited October 2013

Hi @alexmidd,

I am sorry to hear about the trouble with the 1Password extension in Chrome! Chrome has a feature that will automatically synchronize your extensions between all your Macs running Chrome - this is where the trouble comes in. Since you will need to run the 1Password 3 extension on your iMac and the 1Password 4 extension on your MacBook, the best solution right now would be to disable extension sync.

To disable Chrome extension syncing, give the following a try:

1. Open Chrome
    2. Click Chrome > Preferences
    3. Select Settings and find the "Users" section.
    4. Click Advanced sync settings.
    5. In the dialog that appears, deselect the checkbox for extensions.

Let us know if that works for you. If not, please let us know at what point the trouble began, and we'll continue from there.

• DavidGo
    DavidGo
    Community Member
    edited October 2013

IMO that's an unacceptable solution.

I don't see any reason to give up on one of my most important sync engines (extensions is the main reason I'm using Chrome Sync),
    If you want to present your app as cross-platform you need to supply us decent support (otherwise, honestly, I'd much rather use iCloud's KC).

• Hi @DavidGo,

I am so sorry for the frustration, I totally understand how this may not be a great option if you rely on Chrome extension sync.

As I mentioned, right now this is really the cleanest solution. Another option that, while not as simple, would allow you to keep Chrome extension sync enabled, would be to install both the 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 extensions in Chrome and disable the one that you are not currently using. You would need to enable and disable the appropriate extensions whenever you move between computers, but at least all your other extensions would still sync. I'm sorry that there is not a better option right now! If there's anything else we can help with, please let us know.

• endquote
    endquote
    Community Member

I'm having a very similar problem -- I use 1P4 on both Mac and Windows, and Chrome's extension sync gets confused in this case as well. This wasn't a problem with 1P3.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @endquote. I'm sorry you're also having trouble with 1Password extension confusion with Chrome.

Please let us know if @Meek's suggestions aren't working for you and there's some other issue involved so we can help you resolve that. Thanks!

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

I would agree that both of the solutions above are not really satisfactory. I have, however, resolved the problem by installing Mavericks on the iMac as well, however this may not have been an option, particularly if the iMac had not been suitable for the OS upgrade. I therefore think that this should be looked at for the future.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional feedback, @alexmidd.

I'm glad you were able to resolve this with an OS X upgrade, yet admittedly that's another workaround rather than a true solution.

This discussion has been closed.