Seeking a solution - Local Copy - Mac to Mac

Mike Oxlonger
Mike Oxlonger
Community Member

Hello All,

I have two Macs, One is running the latest Maverick OS and the other is running 10.5.8 (Unable to upgrade). I would like to run 1Password on the older Mac using a 3.x version of 1Password that is available to download. I'm not interested in using iCloud or Dropbox. Now that I have 1Password 4 setup and configured on the newer Mac running Maverick, is there a way that I can copy some files on a usb stick from the new Mac to the older Mac so that it would work using 1Password version 3.x?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Hey Mike,

Thanks for the question! The best way to go about transferring your 1Password data from 1Password 4 to 1Password 3 on your other computer is to do the following:

• Connect your USB key to the Mac with 1Password 4.
    • Open 1Password 4 and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Assuming from your question that you don't currently have any sync enabled, choose Folder Sync.
    • When prompted for a location, choose your USB key. This will write out a 1Password.agilekeychain data file.
    • You can then disable Folder Sync (but leave the option to remove the data unchecked).
    • Move the USB key over to your Mac with 10.5.8 running 1Password 3.
    • Copy the 1Password.agilekeychain over to the location you want to save it.
    • Make sure that 1Password 3 is not running (important!)
    • Double-click the 1Password.agilekeychain data file.

Let us know if that works for you. If not, please let us know at what point the trouble began, and we'll continue from there.

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

Thanks for the response! I will give it a try and let you know how it goes.

• Meek
    edited October 2013

You are most welcome Mike! Let us know how it goes. :)

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

Hi Meek,

The plan of action you provided worked! I needed to tweak a couple of logons but thats about it. Can I continue to sync using this method between the two macs? Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mike,

I'm so glad that Meek's suggestion worked for you! If you want to avoid using services like Dropbox, and you don't have a file server set up in your home network, this method is the best way to keep your data updated on both computers. :)

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

Hi Megan. Thanks for the response!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi, Mike. On behalf of @Megan, you're welcome.

I hope the local sneakernet sync solution is working smoothly for you! :)

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

it is indeed! :)

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

Hi,

Should this process continue to work? I used the same process given above but on the pc with 1password3 there were many logons missing. I deleted the original file that I copied and made sure the the application was not running. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi Mike,

I'm sorry to hear that you've run into a snag here! I'd just like to clarify, you mention a PC. Are you now using this manual sync method with a Windows machine? Or are you now seeing missing information on one of your Macs?

• Mike Oxlonger
    Mike Oxlonger
    Community Member

Hi Megan,

Sorry for the confusion. No PC involved. Macs only. :)

Thank in advance!

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Hi Mike,

I apologize for the delay in response. If you're anxious to hear from me, feel free to add an "@" to the beginning of my name and I'll get a notification that you have responded. :)

I think the most efficient way to sort this out is to have you send in a Diagnostic Report. They'll give us a much better picture of your systems, and hopefully a clearer idea of where things might be going wonky.

To create a Diagnostic Report on your computer running 1Password 4:

Download the 1Password Troubleshooting utility and follow the instructions to generate the report.

To create a Diagnostic Report on your computer running 1Password 3:

Open 1Password, click Help->Troubleshooting->Diagnostics Report in the menu bar

Then attach both files to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.