Use both 1PW for Mac and 1PW for Win 7 - getting "Beta Build" error on Mac (ver 3.8.21) using Chrome

Options
geek9mm
geek9mm
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

Not even sure which support forum (Mac or Windows) I should post this in, because I have bought both versions of 1PW and I sync (or try to, see below) between the two platforms using Chrome (my preferred browser).

So, I'm choosing this forum for my post now because the error message I got today -- seemingly intermittently, I'm not really sure now -- has occurred on the Mac while using Chrome. SOME of my login attempts got the "beta build" error/popup and 1PW would not give me my creds for the site I was attempting to log into in the browser (extension).

Mac 1PW: version 3.8.21 is what I am using on the Mac at this moment. And the latest version of Chrome.

(Note: I've never used a beta build to my knowledge, on either my Mac or Windows machines with 1PW.)

So I came on here and saw the thread about re-downloading 1PW ver 4 for Mac (thread is here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/91819/#Comment_91819) and I did download --- but have not yet installed -- ver 4 for Mac, because ...

.... honestly I am scared to install that on the Mac until I ask here for some confirmation/help that I should even do this. There is a problem with Chrome syncing that is still unresolved, I think? (here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/16370/new-chrome-extention/p1). The workaround involved staying at Mac ver 3.8.21, right?

I'm confused but I think I have two different issues to deal with now: 1) the Chrome syncing bug (between 1PW for Mac and 1PW for Win) and 2) the new Mac "beta build" bug that wants me to install Mac ver 4. But I can't do that, right? Because of the Chrome fix?

Thanks for any clues.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @geek9mm,

I'm not really sure now -- has occurred on the Mac while using Chrome. SOME of my login attempts got the "beta build" error/popup and 1PW would not give me my creds for the site I was attempting to log into in the browser (extension).

Could you show me a screenshot of this beta message that you're seeing? Because the issue described in the forum you mentioned is specific to version 4.0.2 of 1Password 4 for Mac, you shouldn't be having this error message if you are on version 3.8. Might you be using a beta version of the 1Password extension?

.... honestly I am scared to install that on the Mac until I ask here for some confirmation/help that I should even do this. There is a problem with Chrome syncing that is still unresolved, I think?

The issue regarding Chrome sync certainly isn't serious enough to warrant fear. :) You are right, it is not resolved yet, and won't be fully resolved until 1Password 4 for Windows is released. But this issue has no effect on the safety of your data, and the workaround is very simple: disable extension sync in Chrome. Then you can use the appropriate extension in for each version of 1Password on the appropriate platform. We do apologize for the inconvenience here, we're working hard to get the new version of 1Password for Windows polished up and ready!

I hope this answers your questions, but please let me know if there's anything else that you would like clarification on.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry it took so long to get back. OK I have looked carefully at my setup and here is what I use.

I use 1PW for both Windows 7 and Macbook Pro. I use Chrome on both machines.

Windows: I use 1PW for Windows (ver 1.0.9.338)
    with 1PW for Chrome-for-Windows, extension version 3.9.19.90

MacBook Pro: I use 1PW for Mac (ver 3.8.21)
    with 1PW Chrome-for-Mac, extension version 4.0.1.99

You wrote:
    "the workaround is very simple: disable extension sync in Chrome. Then you can use the appropriate extension in for each version of 1Password on the appropriate platform. We do apologize for the inconvenience here, we're working hard to get the new version of 1Password for Windows polished up and ready!"

Can you please clarify for me, "disable extension sync in Chrome" means on both machines, right? (both Win and Mac)? Or ONLY on the Mac?
    Also, when you say "use the appropriate extension in for each version..." what does that mean exactly? Sorry I'm confused!

Current Settings in Chrome:
    My Windows Chrome extension settings: all sync boxes are CHECKED.
    My MAC Chrome extension settings looks exactly like those in Windows, EXCEPT that the "extensions" box is UNCHECKED on my Mac.

Should I be upgrading or checking/unchecking something and if so, what, SPECIFICALLY?

Thank you!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, @geek9mm.

No worries for your delayed return; we're still here to help you. :)

It appears this is part of the problem:

MacBook Pro: I use 1PW for Mac (ver 3.8.21) with 1PW Chrome-for-Mac, extension version 4.0.1.99

1Password 3 for Mac requires the 1P3 extension, so let's try removing the 1P4 extension and installing the 1P3 extension in Chrome on your Mac

• Open Chrome.
    • Type chrome://extensions in the address bar and press the Return key.
    • Locate the 1Password 4 extension and click the trash can on the right to remove it:

• Restart your Mac.

• Open Chrome again and visit the 1P3 extensions page:

1Password for Mac | Browser Extensions

• Click Download next to Google Chrome and confirm the installation.

After that 1P3 should be working correctly again with Chrome on your Mac. When you're satisfied that 1Password is running okay on both your Mac and Windows systems then, if you'd like, we can help you migrate to 1Password 4 on your Mac while avoiding the trouble with Chrome extensions.

Please let me know how that goes. Thanks!

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi, thanks for the help. I did exactly as you said and upon restarting the Mac and installing the 1P3 extension, it seemed to install OK but then a popup appeared saying something about "this is the old version and you need version 4." (Had a screen cap of the message but it's on my Mac, not here on my Windows machine where I am replying to you from now.) Also (on the Mac) there is now a red exclamation point on the 1PW key icon in the Chrome browser bar. Sigh. I can't use 1PW in Chrome on the Mac at all right now (had to return to my Windows machine just to log in here, because 1PW on Windows is accessible and had my login details for THIS forum!).

What do I do now? It was at least working "mostly" before.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @geek9mm.

I'm sorry that didn't work as intended. It sounds like 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 are both being installed on your Mac and interfering with each other. To get this sorted out more quickly through email please send a Diagnostics Report from your Mac; instructions are here:

Sending us your Diagnostics Report to help us help you!

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forum, but do include a link to this topic in the email so we can "connect the dots" when we receive it. A quick comment here mentioning that you've sent it would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi again, @geek9mm.

Here's something simple you can a try on your Mac to see if it fixes the problem with using the 1P3 Chrome extension:

• Quit Chrome.
    • Launch 1P3 and run Troubleshooting> Restart Helper from the Help menu.
    • Relaunch Chrome and test the extension.

Please let me know how that goes.

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi again,

Well, I'm now back at exactly the setup I had when I started this topic (see waaaaay above).

In other words, my current setup that is "working" EXCEPT that I have to keep "extensions" (under "Chrome --> Settings --> Advanced Sync Settings -- "extensions) UNCHECKED on BOTH my Mac and Windows machines.

I use Chrome -- and only Chrome -- on both machines and I just want to be able to use the LATEST versions of 1Password (paid customer!) on both machines with Chrome and have everything -- everything -- in Chrome SYNC between both machines/platforms.

Am I missing something here as to why I am not able to do this?

So, again, my current setup appears to be mostly "working" except for Chrome having to have "extensions" UN-CHECKED: (sad face)

Windows: 1Password for Windows version 1.0.9.338 with Chrome extension version 3.9.19.90

Macbook Pro: 1Password for Mac version 3.8.21 with Chrome extension version 4.0.1.99

Is there no solution for this yet? Any idea when there will be? Or am I missing something here (entirely possible!)

Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @geek9mm.

Let's try again to get this sorted out for you. :)

…, my current setup that is "working" EXCEPT that I have to keep "extensions" (under "Chrome --> Settings --> Advanced Sync Settings -- "extensions) UNCHECKED on BOTH my Mac and Windows machines.

And that's why it is working as it currently is. If you enable Chrome Sync of extensions on Windows it will sync the Mac-only 1Password 4 extension to Windows, causing this error:

The New chrome extention topic, which you linked to in your original post, discusses that issue in length and addresses this:

I use Chrome -- and only Chrome -- on both machines and I just want to be able to use the LATEST versions of 1Password (paid customer!) on both machines with Chrome and have everything -- everything -- in Chrome SYNC between both machines/platforms.

It's currently not possible to use Chrome Sync with everything (including 1Password extensions) as you want it to, which was also addressed in @Megan's earlier reply:

The issue regarding Chrome sync certainly isn't serious enough to warrant fear. :) You are right, it is not resolved yet, and won't be fully resolved until 1Password 4 for Windows is released. But this issue has no effect on the safety of your data, and the workaround is very simple: disable extension sync in Chrome. Then you can use the appropriate extension in for each version of 1Password on the appropriate platform.

You've already accomplished most of the workaround by disabling extension sync in Chrome and using the correct appropriate extension with 1Password on Windows:

… my current setup appears to be mostly "working" except for Chrome having to have "extensions" UN-CHECKED: (sad face)

>

Windows: 1Password for Windows version 1.0.9.338 with Chrome extension version 3.9.19.90

That's looks fine.

The trouble is on your Mac, where you're trying to use the 1Password 4 Chrome extension (4.0.1.99) with the 1Password 3 app (3.8.21):

Macbook Pro: 1Password for Mac version 3.8.21 with Chrome extension version 4.0.1.99

That mismatched combination of 1P4 extension and 1P3 app versions definitely will not work. The 1P4 extension can't communicate with the 1P3 app.

Is there no solution for this yet?

Mostly! :)

I just want to be able to use the LATEST versions of 1Password (paid customer!) on both machines with Chrome

You can already do that, except for using Chrome Sync with the current Mac and Windows extensions. When 1Password 4 for Windows (now in beta testing) is available the Chrome extension will then be identical on Mac and Windows, making it possible to be synced using Chrome Sync.

To get 1Password working with Chrome on your Mac your choices are:

1. Successfully reinstall the 1P3 extension to use with the 1P 3.8.21 app, which was unsuccessful earlier using my instructions.
    2. Upgrade to 1Password 4; at least its extension appears to already be installed.

If you'd like assistance completing that 1P4 upgrade installation/setup please start by sending the Diagnostics Report as suggested in post #6 above. Additional information from the report about how 1Password is currently configured on your Mac will make it easier to suggest specifically what to do next. Thank you!

• geek9mm
    geek9mm
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! I think I found the problem -- I had downloaded and apparently installed 1P4 for Mac but it was ALSO running 1P3 for Mac, if that's even possible. Anyway, I uninstalled 1P3 for Mac and am running 1P4 for Mac with the Chrome extension 4 and all seems to be "matching up" as you said -- with Chrome extensions for sync disabled on Mac and on Windows, awaiting the release of 1P4 for Windows (which will apparently fix the Chrome sync problems!). Looking forward to that. Any idea when this will be happening? I assume we'll get notices? Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings, @geek9mm.

That's excellent you've got a working 1P4 app/extension combo working now! Thanks for mentioning what you did.

Apparently what I'd suspected earlier was true:

It sounds like 1Password 3 and 1Password 4 are both being installed on your Mac and interfering with each other.

It is possible to run 1P3 and 1P4 apps on the same Mac, although the 1P3 browser extension may not function correctly or consistently even if it's the only one installed. The 1P4 extension is better behaved when running 1P3 and 1P4 apps. Some overlap between 1P3 and 1P4 must be supported or upgrading would fail.

If you're subscribed to the AgileBits Newsletter you'll receive news about 1Password 4 for Windows there. It'll also be announced on the Agile Blog, this forum, and our website in general. Its announcement won't be easy to miss. :)

If there's anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Happy holidays!

This discussion has been closed.