1Password 4 is a mess!

Options
Tom Hedeen
Tom Hedeen
Community Member

I've been using 1Password for several years now through several incarnations. I've been using it even before you guys visited our Mac Users Group (formerly TROU, now CAUG) here in Chicago. I liked 1PW and how it worked.
So when I got the email to upgrade to 1Password 4 from 3.8.21 I had no reservations. So I made the plunge.
For me it has been a disaster.

My first problem started when I tried to use 1PW4.
I had always copied and pasted my password from a hidden area on my computer. But with 1PW4, it does not allow me to do this. I have to manually enter my password EVERY TIME. Since I want my 1PW to be secure, it is complicated and a hassle to type out all the time.

When I try to have 1PW4 fill in an entry, it doesn't fill in correctly like the old 1PWs did. It mixes log ins with passwords, but usually fills them with the same entry.

And it is even worse when I try to have it fill in my credit card. It fills my name in all the places. My Discover card has a 3-digit security number that 1PW filled in. Now I can't even find it and had to go get my card out of my wallet to get the number to fill in manually.

Used to be, when there was a problem I could click on the "copy" button and paste the entry in where needed. Now, there's no "copy" button and I have to go into edit and try to copy the entry so I can use it.

Being so frustrated, I used Time Machine to go back and restore my older version of 1Password. It's working almost as well as it used to, but I keep getting a warning in Safari that I have an old extension that should be upgraded to version 4.

I wish I had left well enough alone and never upgraded to 4.

I don't know where to turn. None of the instructions cover any of this.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You can copy a password from 1P4 Mini by clicking on the password in 1P4 Mini. If you really want to go back to 1P3 there is an article in the knowledge base on starting over with 1P4 which may help you. See also post #5 in this thread.

Stephen

• Tom,

Let's see if we could resolve these issues:

1. I am not sure I understand the hidden area problem. Are you trying to copy and paste the master password?

2. Login and credit filling. It should work better in 1Password 4 than in version 3. What is the version of the browser extension were you using? Can you give us a link to the page where you had problems?

3. The message about the old extension. It must be coming from 1Password mini that runs in the background.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.