Format of CSV for import

Options
rjl24
rjl24
Community Member

I'm a new 1Password 4 on Mac user and getting really frustrated trying to import my existing password data.

Is the format of the CSV files that 1Password 4 will accept documented anywhere? I.e. which column is 1Password expecting to be the username and which the password? Should any of the fields be in speech marks? What other fields does the CSV import support?

As an aside, before I go ahead purchase a licence, is 1Password 4 actually finished release-quality software? It seems there has been a number of regressions from 1Password 3. For example in searching for an answer to this problem, the V3 user guide shows screenshots of a GUI window that lets you tell 1P the format of your CSV file. In V4 I never get this window and instead 1P just incorrectly imports my data.

The only reason I'm trying to import from CSV is because I was originally trying to import data from Firefox and Chrome. Again I searched for a solution to find that in V3 the browser plugins had automatic import options that have been removed in V4.

This is all really disappointing as I'd had 1Password recommended by a long-term user and I was looking forward to getting this bit of my life sorted. I upgraded my Mac to Mavericks just so I could use 1P4, but now find myself wishing I hadn't bothered as V4 actually seems to be a downgrade in many respects!

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @rjl24.

I'd like to apologize for the delay in replying about your CSV import issue. We've been a bit overwhelmed since the launch of 1Password 4 for Mac and are all working hard to get back to our usual snappy responses.

We have a new document that describes the CSV format that the 1Password 4 importer recognizes:

How can I import data from another application?

An alternative to importing is populating your data in 1P4 over time simply by using it, which can give you an uncluttered 1P4 database while leaving unnecessary data behind. A related strategy is to create a new vault, then import data into that secondary vault and use it to populate the primary vault. Sending items between vaults can help with data migration from the imported to primary vault, cleaning it up as you go along. The experience of doing this can lead to new discoveries of what's possible with 1P4 that might otherwise be overlooked. :)

We are still looking at improvements for 1P4 importers and welcome specific suggestions. And if you have any other questions about this or anything else please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.