Login vs password

Options
woowooz
woowooz
Community Member
edited November 2013 in Mac

In 1password 4 for Mac, I have lists of both Logins and Passwords. They seem to be the same. Is there a difference? Why have both categories?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The Passwords category stores passwords you have generated in 1P4 but which are not linked to a saved login. You can remove any redundant passwords from the Passwords category by choosing Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords (or, I believe, by right clicking on Passwords and choosing that category)

( @sjk, @Megan: do you think we might have a short article in the knowledge base about the role of the Passwords category. I've lost count of the number of times this question has been asked—and answered—and no doubt there are better, fuller answers than those I've given anyway.)

Stephen

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2014
    Options

Hi @woowooz,

I hope that Stephen's answer helped you sort out the difference between Logins and Passwords. The main reason for the Passwords category is a fail-safe: if you generate a super-strong password for a site and 1Password doesn't prompt you to update your new Login, and you forget to update the Login manually ... well, you could be in for a not-so-pleasant surprise the next time you try to log in to this site. So every generated password goes into the Passwords category, just in case. The 'Remove Redundant' feature that Stephen mentioned is great for getting rid of those passwords that have been successfully converted into Logins already, or you can take a peek in Security Audit's Duplicates and manually remove them there.

@Stephen_C,

You're right, this sounds like a great candidate for an article! I'm passing it along to our more eloquent staffers. :) But in the interim, you're doing a wonderful job answering.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan: it would be good to direct people to an authoritative knowledge base article on this particular issue, as it crops up so often.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @woowooz.

Please let us know if there's more we can help you with beyond the great answers from @Stephen_C and @Megan. :)

This discussion has been closed.