Chrome Extension Conflict with Typinator

Options

The 1Password extension for Chrome is putting Typinator into "Pause" mode and it cannot be put back into expansion mode. I have to unable the 1password extension in Chrome and then re-enable it in order for Typinator to be allowed to work again. However, this only lasts a while and then the 1password extension forces Typinator back into pause mode again. This is very frustrating because I use Typinator a lot. It is a core part of my workflow. Is there a fix for this?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi @mbritt,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble getting 1Password and Typinator to play nicely together. I'd like to explain the situation a bit for you, to see if we can't figure out a workflow to make your life easier.

Whenever the 1Password Master Password screen is displayed, either in the main app or in the extension, Secure Input is enabled. This is a security measure that will prevent programs like Typinator from doing their thing. The solution though is to unlock the app, or hide the extension. Doing this should allow Typinator to work.

Please let me know if this helps!

• mbritt
    mbritt
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for getting back to me Megan. Can you give me a little more info - I don't know how to unlock the app or hide the extension (is that the "Allow in cognito" setting?). Also, doing either of these things is inconvenient. What happens is that I'm working along on my computer going from Chrome to my email or to Word, and then suddenly my text expansions don't work anymore. Then I have to go back to Chrome and make an adjustment. Is there going to be a permanent fix for this? Appreciate your help. Michael

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael ( @mbritt ),

You can unlock the app by entering your Master Password. You can also change the unlock settings in Preferences > Security to allow the app to stay open longer while you are working. You should be able to use Typinator just fine as long as 1Password is unlocked. Your other option of course is to leave 1Password closed until you need access to your Logins in the browser.

Believe me, I understand the reliance on text expanding programs (it's an incredible time-saver in a job like this!). I can tell you that I don't notice 1Password 4 interfering with my text expander much, but I can't say if there is going to be a "fix" for 1Password 3. Mostly because this isn't a bug, but a security feature: there's not much point in having a strong and complex Master Password if it can be automatically filled in by pressing the 'PW' keys for example.
    :)

• mbritt
    mbritt
    Community Member
    Options

I'm still having problems. Your advice is to unlock 1password, but I don't even have 1password open. In fact, I usually don't have the app open. I just use the Google chrome extension. It sounds like you're asking me to go into Window->Extensions> and unclick "Enabled" for 1Password until I need 1Password and then Enable it and then disable it again after that. Is that right? I have been using 1password for years and I haven't experienced this conflict until about a month ago. I just don't get it. There's gotta be a way around this. I rely on both 1Password and my textexpanders very heavily. How is it that you're not experiencing this conflict? I experience it all the time.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Michael ( @mbritt ),

I do apologize if I wasn't more clear earlier: this should only be an issue when the lock screen of 1Password is visible - either the main app or the extension. You shouldn't have to disable the 1Password extension to get the text expanders to behave properly, only ensure that either 1Password is unlocked, or that lock screen is not open.

If you do unlock the extension, does your text expander behave properly?

This discussion has been closed.