1Password vers. 3 syncing with 1Password vers. 4

uwew
uwew
Community Member

So I wonder: I have been using and enjoying 1Password for a long time in my "mixed environment" at my home office: Mac's, PC, iPads and iPhones. Some of them on 1Password4 and, unfortunately to the inability to upgrade to newer iOS versions, 1Password 3.x on an iPhone 3gs and iPad1.

Due to the fact of iOS 6 being required for the latest Dropbox and/or 1Password I am "stuck" with the older versions that now no longer sync:( So I thought bummer, let's try a WiFi sync with my Mac running 1Password 4 just to find out that the sync mechanism seems to be incompatible between the 1Password version (3 + 4).

I feel like I have just been hit with a 2x4 and I now have several doorstops in form of the older iDevices. Is there any thing I can do to have to older versions play with the newer, shiny one's? What ever happened to "backward compatibility"? I know most of us want the new toys and the latest greatest stuff, but, please at $20/license for the iPad and I forgot how much for the iPhone, should there not be more support. The world did not stand still when iOS 6 came out... and definitely did not change with iOS 7 which, in my house has still a verdict pending since (IMHO) crashes a lot more then the older iOS...

Again, any advice/solution is greatly appreciated - I can't be the only one with this problem...

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @uwew,

I do apologize that you feel hit by a 2x4 ... I'm cringing slightly just at the thought of it! The recent change in Dropbox's API has caused confusion for a lot of users, and we are truly sorry for it all.

The good news is though, that we can get this working for you, and it's fairly simple! You will just have to keep a copy of 1Password 3 for Mac on your computer. If you purchased 1Password 4 from our website, you might still have 1Password 3 on your computer. If you got 1Password 4 via upgrade from the Mac App Store, we can easily install 1Password 3 for Mac via our website. Then 1Password 3 for Mac can stay synced via Dropbox or Folder Sync with 1Password 4 for Mac, and you can sync your iPad via Wi-Fi whenever necessary.

The instructions for setting up Wi-Fi sync for 1Password 3 are here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html

If you purchased from the Mac App Store, please send a copy of your receipt to support@ agilebits .com and we will send you out a new license directly. If you purchased from our store, you can continue to use your original license number.

I hope this helps solve things for you, but if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help!

This discussion has been closed.