Dropbox sync'ing on older iOS devices

DBrown
DBrown
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Wifi-Sync 1Pwd Windows with 1Pwd on iPhone.

Comments

• Barbara
    Barbara
    Community Member

I can't get Dropbox to sync with my Ipad. I was doing it before but I just restored my Ipad and now I can't get Ipassword to sync with Droipbox. This is a 1st edition Ipad

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Hi, @Barbara.

I have a first-generation iPad, too, and it can't run the latest version of iOS, which means it has to run the older version of 1Password, which means Dropbox sync'ing is no longer available. <:(

Dropbox is no longer supporting the older API requirements of 1Password 3.x, which is why we’ve had to retire it.

For 1Password to communicate with Dropbox, it uses what’s called an API (application programming interface). We were notified by Dropbox that as of September 1, 2013 the API used by 1Password for iOS 3.x is completely shut down. This is why it’s no longer able to communicate with Dropbox to keep your 1Password data synchronized.

1Password 4 for iOS has been available in the iTunes store since December, but that's of no use to us.

I'm going to move your question and this reply to a new thread in the 1Password for iOS forum, in case there's a better answer known to the experts there.

As far as I've been able to find out, this morning, you and I will no longer be able to keep our 1Password data on our older iOS devices sync'ed with 1Password on our more modern computers.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Barbara, here's some advice from one of my co-workers:

Right now, your best solution is simply to back up your 1Password 3 for iOS data using 1Password's built-in Backup & Restore features. Please note that the file created in this process can be restored only to 1Password 3 for iOS. Its file format is not compatible with any other version of 1Password. The following guide will help you back up your data:

   http://help.agilebits.com/1Password_touch/backup.html

I really wish there was better news for folks in our situation, Barbara. Even understanding that the change was out of AgileBits' control, I still feel abandoned on my beloved old iPad, which still works perfectly well and meets my needs in every other respect.

• @Barbara I see this was moved from the Windows forum, so you might not have a Mac - but if you do, you can use wifi sync between 1Password 3 for iOS and 1Password 3 for Mac.

The instructions for setting up Wi-Fi sync for are here: http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password3/ios-wifi-sync.html

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

Thanks, @JasperP!

I, too, assumed @Barbara is using 1Password for Windows, but I should've thought to mention the Mac solution, in case she has access to one with 1Password installed.

• Barbara
    Barbara
    Community Member

Thanks, but no I don't have access to a Mac. Yes, I do use a PC with Wondows 7 on it for One Password. The only Apple devices I have are the original IPad and Iphone. As you stated, the Ipad works just fine so not ready t trash it. I loved one password so am disappointed it no longer works with my IPad. But thanks for all the help.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2013

I'm sorry to quibble, @Barbara, especially over the lamentable situation in which we find ourselves, but to be clear:

1Password 3.x for iOS does still work on your iPad; it's only Dropbox sync'ing that had to be removed from 1Password 3.x for the reasons stated above.

You can definitely keep using 1Password on your iPad, but (and it's a big "but") you will have to manually reproduce new Login items there.

This discussion has been closed.