Chrome vs. Safari and the Secure Input problem with text expanders.

Ollie
Ollie
Community Member

I encountered the Secure Input problem while using 1password 4 just recently. All the discussions here seemed to be for v.3 or v.4BETA, so I thought I would start a current thread.

I use a text expander, aText, which had worked fine until quite recently (probably around the time I upgraded to OSX Mavericks). Thinking it was at fault, I downloaded a free trial of TypeIt4Me. Encountering the same problem made me realize the text expanders weren't the issue.

As I said, I am running OSX Mavericks and use the 1password 4 extension in google chrome (latest version 31.0.1650.57). I found if I shut down chrome, the text expanders worked fine. If I restarted chrome but did not immediately use the 1password extension, the text expanders continued to work fine. However, the moment I used the 1password extension (which, of course, entailed my entering my master pw), the text expanders failed and continued to fail till I shut chrome down again.

I then shut down chrome and started safari (Version 7.0 (9537.71)). No problem with text expanders, even after I used the 1password extension in safari.

This would indicate to me that the problem is the combination of chrome and the 1password extension.

By the way, 1password 4 was running minimized through all these tests.

Is there a fix for this or have I missed a current thread?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Ollie,

Believe me, we're all avid text expander users here, so this is an issue that we certainly want to minimize! However, I'm not able to re-create this as reliably as you seem to be. I really appreciate the detailed feedback though!

The basic gist of things is this: whenever the 1Password lock screen is visible, Secure Input is enabled, which means no text expanders. Once 1Password is unlocked though, text expanders should resume their magic filling. And so far, mine seems to behave as expected.

What version of 1Password 4 are you using? Please make sure that you have the latest and greatest version of 1Password: 4.0.8 for purchasers from the Mac App Store, and 4.0.9 for users who purchased directly from our website. Can you confirm that this is happening consistently for you?

• Marcosi
    Marcosi
    Community Member

I have the same problem using aText, and dev from aText told me it's a 1Password issue. Also the same problem when I tested Typinator. As soon as I visit a page that has Secure input both aText and Typinator stops working for text expanding.

Being a heavy user of text expanders I hope for a solution from 1Password soon.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Marcosi,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having difficulty with your text expanders lately.

As soon as I visit a page that has Secure input both aText and Typinator stops working for text expanding.

Secure Input is meant to disable text expanders. If your text expanders do not resume their function after visiting a page with Secure Input, I'm not quite sure how this relates to 1Password. 1Password enables Secure Input when the lock screen is visible, in either the main app or the extension, but it has no control over web pages.

In any case, we are still unable to re-create this issue on our end. Could you please give me a few more details about your situation?

• What version of 1Password are you currently using, and what version is your operating system?
    • Are you noticing this issue in a particular browser (as Ollie is)?

The more information we can get about this situation, the more likely it is that we'll be able to track down the cause. ;)

• jipnet
    jipnet
    Community Member

I got the same message (secure input is enabled due to 1Password) using Keyboard Maestro. Not sure what triggered it. 1Pwd4 most recent update as of today.

• Hi @jipnet,

Thanks for letting us know that you are also experiencing this problem. Could you please send us a Diagnostics Report?

http://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/diagnostic-report.html

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :grinning:

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• rmathes23
    rmathes23
    Community Member

i'm seeing this same issue. i use aText, and when i use Chrome, i get this consistently. when i use Safari, i never get it. so it seems to be more of a Chrome issue than a 1Password one. but i'd sure like to remedy it. has this gone anywhere? I get it consistently, let me know if you need me to generate the diagnostic report. i'm guessing at this point you have enough info to know what the problem is, just perhaps the fix is out of your hands.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rmathes23‌

I'm sorry to hear that you're seeing this! But it is actually a good sign if you are able to re-create this consistently, as it should make it easier for us to re-trace your steps and hopefully re-create it on our end, which is the first step in being able to squash any bug.

I would very much like to see a Diagnostics Report. When you send in the email (following the instructions above) please include a detailed outline of the steps that you take that lead to the bug.

Thanks so much for your help in tracking this down! :)

• dland
    dland
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm seeing a similar (possibly the same) issue: if I open the 1Password panel in Chrome, but decide not to unlock it just then, dismissing the panel does not turn off secure input, so none of my text expanders (Typeit4me and Typinator) will function, perhaps because because they respect the secure input state.

A solution, perhaps, is to clear secure input when the user closes the 1Password panel without unlocking it.

Dave Land

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2014

Hi Dave ( @dland ),

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts here! Could you please provide a bit more detail about your set-up?

• What version numbers are you using for 1Password, Chrome and the extension? (The extension's version number is available in chrome://extensions.)
    • Does this happen consistently? I've just tried to test here, and dismissing the extension in Chrome does not disable my text expander (Text Expander, itself.)
  • dland
    dland
    Community Member
    edited October 2014

Hi, Megan,

I'm running 1Password 3.8.22, 1Password Extension 3.9.21.90, and Chrome 38.0.2125.104.

The exact sequence that leaves Secure Input enabled is this:

1. Go to a page where I think I want to use 1Password, and click its icon in Chrome's toolbar, (or accidentally click the 1Password icon in the toolbar on the way to a different extension).
    2. The 1Password lock screen appears, and focus goes to the password field to unlock it. At this point, Secure Input is enabled.
    3. Decide not to use 1Password (or realize that I've clicked the wrong icon), and press "Escape" to cancel the 1Password lock screen.
    4. At this point, Secure Input is still enabled, but should not be.

My suggestion is that when the 1Password lock screen panel is dismissed with the escape key, focus should be taken away from the Password input field, which should clear Secure Input.

As a temporary workaround: press the "Tab" key before pressing "Escape" to take focus away from the Password field.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dland,

Thanks for confirming your version numbers for me! Unfortunately, our development efforts are largely focussed on 1Password 5 at this time, I can't guarantee that we'll be able to make any updates to version 3. So, it's great to hear that you've found a workaround!

(If you're able to update to Yosemite and 1Password 5, I highly recommend it - our developers have done some great things with 1Password lately!)

In any case, I will pass your concerns along. :)

This discussion has been closed.