Sharing, Printing, and Contextual Menus

Options
benfdc
benfdc
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Mac

When Ctrl-clicking (right clicking) on a selected item or items in 1Password 4.1.1, one sees all of the options in the Item menu except for Share ►. I think that adding Share ► to the contextual menu would be a major improvement.

Related: Please fix Item > Share ► so that it operates on all selected items instead of only the first item in a selection. If you can't fix this by the next update, then please grey out Item > Share ► when multiple items are selected so that users are not misled or confused.

I do not like Item > Share ► Print as being the command for printing a single item (or a set of selected items). Printing is not a species of sharing. I believe that Print should be promoted to the same level as Edit and Duplicate in the Item menu, added to the contextual menu, and assigned the standard keyboard shortcut ⌘P. The Print command in the 1Password 4.1.1 File menu should be renamed Print List and given a compound shortcut like ⌃⌘P. The function assigned to ⌘P should be the more frequently-used function, and the one that the user is most likely to expect, and IMO that is printing one or more selected items, not printing every item in the current sidebar selection (All, Favorites, or a particular category, folder, or tag).

While we are on the subject of sharing, the only way to securely share 1Password items is by copying them to a shared vault, but the option to copy something to a different vault only appears in Item > Share ► if the user’s keychain already contains multiple vaults. Adding a New vault… entry in Item > Share ► would have multiple benefits:

• Increasing user awareness of this secure sharing option.
  • Significantly simplifying the workflow for securely sharing items.

An alternative presentation would be to add Secure vault ► to the Item > Share ► submenu and have the Secure vault ► submenu list all existing vaults plus New vault…. Refinement: if there are no secondary vaults, save the user a few milliseconds by displaying Item > Share ► Secure vault… instead of Item > Share ► Secure vault ►.

Comments

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2013
    Options

Follow-up points.

I now see a Share icon next to the Favorites star in 1Password items. Putting Share ► in the contextual menu would be redundant, but redundancy is not a bad thing in this context—after all, you already have Favorite in the contextual menu!

Also, the Share icon is grayed out, making it easy to overlook and suggesting (incorrectly) that it is not active. I think it could use some tweaking.

Finally, just as I think that Print should be broken out of Share, I think that putting a not-grayed-out Print button next to that Share button would be a great idea.

• Max007
    Max007
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    is there a way to change a Font when you print from 1Password?
    In my case, when I print I get it tooo big (guess maybe font size 12 or 14), and I'd need it more concise to stay on one-two pages.
    There are no print options in 1P, so if anyone knows, please advice.
    Tx

• eva_s
    eva_s
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Max007,

Great question! At this time there is no way to change the font settings when you print off of 1Password 4.

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member
    Options

Agree. I'm trying to print a single secure note and it seems to want to print everything.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dsm363,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble here. When you are viewing the Secure Note, you can select Item > Share > Print to print just that item. (The 'Share' menu is also available via the arrow icon below the Secure Note's title.) Are you seeing different behaviour?

• dsm363
    dsm363
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Megan. That works. Might consider making it so that File->Print function also has ability to print just the selected note. Appreciate it.

• Jasper
    Options

Hi @dsm363,

Thanks for the feedback! I will pass this along to our developers. :)

This discussion has been closed.