1Password Reader

benfdc
benfdc
Community Member
edited December 2013 in Lounge

I used to use the File > Export Selected > Encrypted Web Page feature of 1P/Mac (dropped in 3.8.11) to share information securely (although, it turns out, not nearly as securely as I thought).

1Password 4 now has the excellent secondary vault feature for secure sharing, but it has a problem—the person with whom I wish to share must also own 1Password. This severely limits the utility of the sharing feature. For some purposes it will suffice for the recipient to use a free trial copy of 1Password, but not if I want to share more than twenty items, and not if I want to share to a mobile device.

I think that it would be wonderful if Agilebits would produce a free 1Password Reader app for all desktop and mobile platforms. Basically a read-only version of 1Password without browser extensions (desktop) or an integrated browser (mobile). Giving your users a solid way to share securely with anyone (not just other 1Password owners) would be a product feature that boosts your users’ security and adds value to the product. In addition, I will wager that a good number of 1Password Reader users would “upgrade” to the full product in relatively short order.

1Password Reader on mobile platforms would also be very handy for users of 1P/Mac or 1P/Win who hesitate to pony up and purchase 1Password for iOS/Android/Windows Phone but need 24/7 access to their data. Again, I strongly suspect that many users of 1Password Reader on tablets and smartphones would wind up purchasing the full app some time down the road.

Whadda ya say?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

I'll make sure the developers know you are interested in this, Ben! For now, 1PasswordAnywhere works well to access a secondary vault in any modern browser.

Additionally, the trial version of 1Password does provide read-only access to more than 20 items. It just limits the creation of new items if you have more than 20 after 30 days.

Support for multiple vaults on iOS is a substantial change that needs a lot of testing, but it’s on our list. :)

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers!

• benfdc
    benfdc
    Community Member
    edited December 2013

1PasswordAnywhere on a secondary vault sounds pretty powerful, but I wonder how well 1PasswordAnywhere supports new 1Password 4 features like custom fields and multiple login URLs. I’ll kick the tires when I get a chance.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

Multiple URLs are not yet supported (they give the greatest benefit to domain matching in the extensions which doesn't apply to 1PasswordAnywhere), but support for custom fields in 1PasswordAnywhere was added in 1Password 4. :)

This discussion has been closed.