Google Drive Support

Options

Comments

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Megan. This has been such a long running saga that I suspect that many people would be interested in the story.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Richard,

I agree! One of my favourite series on our blog is the Dev.Bits series. I love getting that inside glimpse into how our software is made. The decision-making process here would make for some fascinating reading. :)

• sfringer
    sfringer
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list of users who would appreciate native Google Drive support for synchronization across clients.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Add me to the list of users who would appreciate native Google Drive support for synchronization across clients.

@sfringer: Thanks for your interest! I'll add your vote. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2015
    Options

It's been years since this was requested and all you ever say is basically "We will put it on the list and consider it" then spit out some development reasons to justify not adding it.

@Hypnotikus: Sorry for the confusion! We absolutely don't tell folks that Google Drive support will be added in the future. We may add that feature at some point, but as a general rule I'd say it's best to make financial decisions based on what a product actually does rather that what you hope it might do in the future. And we don't offer justifications; rather, we try to express honestly that it isn't something we're going to do right now and why (to the extent that we can publicly) out of courtesy. I'm sorry to hear that 1Password doesn't meet your needs right now, but ultimately you have to determine the best use of your resources, as do we.

• andyjih
    andyjih
    Community Member
    Options

Add me to the list of people who would love a Google Drive syncing integration. This would be fantastic for my company since we already use Google Apps for sharing files, and would love to be able to sync our passwords using 1Password synced on Google Drive. Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@andyjih: Thanks for letting us know! Hopefully we'll be able to add Google Drive support in a future version. :)

• JAnguita
    JAnguita
    Community Member
    Options

One more interested in Google Drive support.

• saad
    edited November 2015
    Options

Thanks for the vote!

• revanmj
    revanmj
    Community Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Add me to the list (but it would be nice to see it on other versions too, not just on Android).

• kuoirad
    kuoirad
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, I'm hoping that if it's added to the Android client, it would be added to the other clients as well - it wouldn't help me to be able to sync to Drive on my phone but not on any of my OS X machines.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, I'm hoping that if it's added to the Android client, it would be added to the other clients as well - it wouldn't help me to be able to sync to Drive on my phone but not on any of my OS X machines.

@kuoirad: Absolutely! It would make much more sense for us to roll out new sync features across all platforms at once (or close to it), since syncing in a vacuum isn't very useful. :chuffed:

• BXIA
    BXIA
    Community Member
    Options

Finally, two years after this thread is posted, Google Drive is still unavailable in 1Password.

• saad
    edited November 2015
    Options

This is exactly why we can’t promise a timeframe. Implementing a new sync method can involve many development challenges along the way, and I think it would be more frustrating if we promised a date and we missed it. :(

If we are able to overcome the limitations we faced while exploring the Drive SDK for Android, we will take a look into it again. Thanks.

• addgdrive
    addgdrive
    Community Member
    Options

Current trial period user. I would happily become a paying customer if you wouldn't make me use dropbox and have google drive support.

• Thanks for the vote, @addgdrive. I'll pass this along to the team.

In the meantime, if Google Drive syncing is important to you, you're welcome to sync using local storage. Then you can use a Google Drive app to sync your locally saved .agilekeychain folder. It might work as a workaround for you for the time being :)

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan

Did that DevBits blog post ever come about? If so, could you or someone post a link as I missed it. If it hasn't happened yet, it would make for interesting reading, as would a more detailed discussion on the limitations of the various options for "filling" passwords on Android and the reason a keyboard-based option was selected.

With the release of the 1PW6 Beta for Android, is Google Drive support any closer to being realized? Hopefully after improved searching, Opvault, and fingerprint support for keyboard filling are released on Android, please. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2016
    Options

@EnerJi: Ah, sorry for the confusion! Megan wasn't alluding to a specific post, but rather the Dev.Bits series which often touches on issues like this (such as the recent AgileCloudSDK post). Since that's something we've released now, we're able to talk about it a bit more candidly. I expect that if and when we add Google Drive support, that will be a much longer read! :lol:

And to answer what I suspect may be your next question ("why more iCloud and not Google Drive?"), iCloud is a known quantity. We've developed, tested, and supported it for years on two platforms, and frankly we felt it was important to make sure that all of our 1Password for Mac customers could use it (finally!) -- especially before we tackle another sync service entirely.

Even AgileCloudSDK took a lot of time and energy to develop and test, and that's just on one platform. If we're to support Google Drive in the future, it will only be after a concerted effort to make sure it's up to the standard you expect from us (that we expect of ourselves) across all platforms, and that's no small task. That said, I really hope we can do it. It would be really awesome to have another cross-platform sync service. :)

P.S: And as for your Android-specific features, we're on the same page. I'm looking forward to those improvements too!

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty

Since that's something we've released now, we're able to talk about it a bit more candidly. I expect that if and when we add Google Drive support, that will be a much longer read!

Is there any chance of getting a dev blog on a topic before something is actually released (or during development), or only after release? It's been intimated before that Agile has requested some changes to the way Google Drive propagates permissions to make it easier to support. If we knew more about this, perhaps your eager customers could register our "votes" with Google to (perhaps?) modestly increase the chance that Google prioritizes this feature.

There's also been lots of discussion in the Android Beta forum around different ways of filling passwords on the Android platform, limitations of the first implementation of the filling feature, the insecurity of copy and paste, and that at least a couple of competitors appear to be filling without using a keyboard. It would be educational to get a deep-dive on the different methods of filling on Android, their pros/cons, and why Agile has settled on a keyboard solution. A blog post would not only address some of the dissatisfaction with the current form of filling, but also potentially reduce the chance of folks switching to a competitor if they realized that said competitor is probably not using a secure method of filling or hasn't thought this through as thoroughly as Agile.

And to answer what I suspect may be your next question ("why more iCloud and not Google Drive?"), iCloud is a known quantity. We've developed, tested, and supported it for years on two platforms, and frankly we felt it was important to make sure that all of our 1Password for Mac customers could use it (finally!) -- especially before we tackle another sync service entirely.

Perfectly reasonable and I'm sure your customers who are 100% Apple appreciate this.

If we're to support Google Drive in the future, it will only be after a concerted effort to make sure it's up to the standard you expect from us (that we expect of ourselves) across all platforms, and that's no small task. That said, I really hope we can do it. It would be really awesome to have another cross-platform sync service.

Understood that this is not a trivial undertaking. However, as the "platform-native" sync solution on Android (much as iCloud is on Mac and iOS), but ALSO as a sync solution that functions across every platform Agile supports, it seems to me to make some sense to support. I'm sure the focus is on Teams right now, but I hope that won't prevent "non-Teams" features from being implemented over time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Is there any chance of getting a dev blog on a topic before something is actually released (or during development), or only after release?

@EnerJi: I don't think we'd rule it out entirely, but it's highly unlikely that we'd talk about it publicly unless it's done. We've made that mistake in the past, and I'm not sure there's anything worse than announcing something (even if it's not technically an announcement) and then not shipping it.

It's been intimated before that Agile has requested some changes to the way Google Drive propagates permissions to make it easier to support. If we knew more about this, perhaps your eager customers could register our "votes" with Google to (perhaps?) modestly increase the chance that Google prioritizes this feature.

We really don't want to make this an "us versus them" thing, or inspire people to bombard Google with demands. Google is big enough that they're going to do what's best for them. As a 3rd party developer, we can suggest and lobby for changes that would benefit us, but much like with Apple or Microsoft, things like this will really only happen if Google sees a benefit for them as well.

There's also been lots of discussion in the Android Beta forum around different ways of filling passwords on the Android platform, limitations of the first implementation of the filling feature, the insecurity of copy and paste, and that at least a couple of competitors appear to be filling without using a keyboard. It would be educational to get a deep-dive on the different methods of filling on Android, their pros/cons, and why Agile has settled on a keyboard solution. A blog post would not only address some of the dissatisfaction with the current form of filling, but also potentially reduce the chance of folks switching to a competitor if they realized that said competitor is probably not using a secure method of filling or hasn't thought this through as thoroughly as Agile.

You make some good points. I see that Verde has replied to you in another thread regarding this, and so this Google Drive discussion doesn't get too far off topic, I'd say definitely start a new discussion if you'd like to talk more about filling in 1Password for Android.

Understood that this is not a trivial undertaking. However, as the "platform-native" sync solution on Android (much as iCloud is on Mac and iOS), but ALSO as a sync solution that functions across every platform Agile supports, it seems to me to make some sense to support. I'm sure the focus is on Teams right now, but I hope that won't prevent "non-Teams" features from being implemented over time.

I agree. Google Drive support in 1Password could be great for all of the reasons you (and others) mentioned. We'd just need to be sure that it's a good fit technically, and then do a lot of work to develop and test it. We're a small team and we don't want to go that route if we're not able to commit fully.

• Retty
    Retty
    Community Member
    Options

There's a real problem with the lack of Google Drive support and, if the developers are interested in making their product shine in a competitive market, they should accept that the lack of Google Drive support is a major problem.

Dropbox support is very flaky at best - and the Dropbox apps (on Mac, iOS and Android) hog resources to an unacceptable level. Dropbox in general is falling out of favour as both iCloud and Google Drive becoming much more firmly integrated into their respective operating systems.

I, and other people I know, have dropped 1Password precisely because of the lack of Google Drive integration. I can't use iCloud on PC or Android and yet in a cross platform world I need a reliable service that can embrace Mac, Windows, Android and iOS. This isn't just a feature request - it's core functionality that is consistent with the marketing claims AgileBits makes for 1Password.

Software development is all about solving problems that make the end result an essential, invisible and intuitive part of an end user's life. This is what makes one company's products ubiquitous and another company's an "also ran".

I think it's a great shame if AgileBits doesn't prioritise a solution to the Google Drive problem. Even if AgileBits needs to release a utility that automates manual sync workarounds, this would be something.

Ultimately though, it's unlikely that after years of requests there's going to be movement on this.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Dropbox support is very flaky at best - and the Dropbox apps (on Mac, iOS and Android) hog resources to an unacceptable level. Dropbox in general is falling out of favour as both iCloud and Google Drive becoming much more firmly integrated into their respective operating systems.

@Retty: That's pretty subjective. Dropbox certainly isn't perfect, but it's the only 3rd party sync client I can run on my MacBook without cutting my battery life in half. So while I find Google Drive useful in other areas (Windows, Android), it wouldn't be something I'd recommend to Mac users. If you're having those same kinds of problems with Dropbox, I'd be surprised, but I can certainly sympathize! :dizzy:

This isn't just a feature request - it's core functionality that is consistent with the marketing claims AgileBits makes for 1Password.

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. We don't make any marketing claims involving Google Drive. Their recent API changes are promising, but the most we say publicly is in discussions like this one. I know it's frustrating to not get what you want (i.e. a promise of Google Drive support in the near term), but worse than not getting your Christmas wish is when a promise is made and not kept. And we're not ready to make any promises — or marketing claims — associated with Google Drive at this time. :(

• Retty
    Retty
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty Thank you. I didn't mean to suggest that AgileBits has made claims about Google Drive support. I meant to say that Google Drive support would be completely consistent with the cross platform ethos of 1Password. In terms of invisible syncing across platforms - Android, iOS, PC and Mac - Google Drive works with a background invisibility that is unmatched by any other cross platform solution.

You have a great product but one that, unfortunately, I have had to stop using mainly because its Android and PC functionality isn't in the same league as when using iCloud (which is of course limited to Mac and iOS). I did try for a while to restrict 1Password use to ioS and Mac but realised, surprisingly, how much I had come to rely upon Android for essential day to day password access. If you could solve the Google Drive problem this would surely be to the benefit of your business as well as to the benefit of end users. I suspect there are many people whose usage profile and needs are similar to mine.

Google's arrogance in not making it easy for developers to support core functionality is probably a sad fact of life. It's also the thing that may make Google Drive as reliable as it is. Some sort of workaround, maybe, could be implemented if only in the form of an app to automate the manual sync workarounds.

Ultimately though, if you did implement Google Drive support I guess your only problem would be in hiring the extra staff to cope with the increased sales and support demands. That, surely, isn't a bad problem to have!

• simbrubie
    simbrubie
    Community Member
    Options

Ok, after flying over this thread, I'm pretty puzzled! There is a absolute understandable request to support 1password sync over Google Drive for about 3 years an all you say is something like "we are looking if we can do something".
    I'm very sorry, but that's a no go!
    I would also prefer to sync over Google Drive since I'm using Google for Work. I had to create an Dropbox account just for 1password.

Please find finaly a solution!
    Please inform me, a soon you have a solution.

Best regards
    Simon Bieri

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simbrubie: There are very few feature requests that are just downright absurd; in my experience most of them are pretty good ideas! But just because something isn't a bad idea doesn't mean that we have the resources to add a feature, or that it's even an appropriate time to do so. I hope we'll be able to support Google Drive one day, but unfortunately the answer is still "not now".

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I didn't mean to suggest that AgileBits has made claims about Google Drive support. I meant to say that Google Drive support would be completely consistent with the cross platform ethos of 1Password. In terms of invisible syncing across platforms - Android, iOS, PC and Mac - Google Drive works with a background invisibility that is unmatched by any other cross platform solution.

@Retty: I apologize for misunderstanding. We'll have to agree to disagree when it comes to "background invisibility that is unmatched" though. While Google Drive has been solid for me on Windows, it's been pretty terrible on OS X.

Google's arrogance in not making it easy for developers to support core functionality is probably a sad fact of life. It's also the thing that may make Google Drive as reliable as it is. Some sort of workaround, maybe, could be implemented if only in the form of an app to automate the manual sync workarounds.

That's a really interesting point! Google definitely has a unique engineering-focused culture. That has a lot of benefits, but also some liabilities. I can't say that I've had any issues with Google Drive the service, even though Google Drive the app has (for me) been a real headache on my Macs. It may be possible to work around that (or that the situation will improve) in the future, but right now we're focused on 1Password for Teams/Families and we definitely don't have the resources to devote to this. Perhaps it will be possible in the future though.

• simbrubie
    simbrubie
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty: I just do not understand, that agilebits doesn't make a bigger effort to implement that, since Google Drive is bigger in market than Dropbox! And it's growing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@simbrubie: AgileBits isn't in the cloud storage business; we're in the 1Password business. If and when Google Drive is a good fit for 1Password everywhere, and we have the resources to develop, test, and support it on an ongoing basis, then we'll probably do it. :)

This discussion has been closed.