Need for phone calls permission?

deviantintegral
deviantintegral
Community Member

Why does 1Password need the "directly call phone numbers" permission? I think that's only needed to bypass the dialer, which I doubt it actually needs to do.

Comments

• macdonst
    macdonst
    Community Member

Agreed there is no good reason for 1Password to request this permission. It should probably be removed from the AndroidManifest.xml.

• Mgs0008b221
    Mgs0008b221
    Community Member

Looks like it's used to call stored phone numbers in credit card fields for example.

• Hi!

As @Mgs0008b221 mentioned, we use this permission to open the phone dialer with the phone number you select from your item.

For example, if you have a phone number stored in one of your membership items, you can tap the triangle on the right and select 'Phone' from the menu. This will open your phone dialer with the selected phone number filled. At this stage, you can choose to continue making the call or return back to 1Password.

We never dial your phone numbers directly. I apologize for the misleading description of the permission.

• twaddington
    twaddington
    Community Member

You can achieve this without requesting the "directly call phone numbers" permission. It's completely unnecessary to request that permission. All you have to do is start a new Intent like this:

try {
        Intent intent = new Intent(Intent.ACTION_DIAL);
        intent.setData(Uri.parse("tel: 1-800-123-4567"));
        startActivity(intent);
    } catch (ActivityNotFoundException e) {
        // TODO: Notify this user, this might happen on a tablet
    }

No permissions required.

• Hi @twaddington,

I passed on your information to our developers and It turns out you're right. This permission is not required and will be removed as part of the next update. Thanks for letting us know.

• twaddington
    twaddington
    Community Member

@saad rad! Glad I could help out.

• KellyG
    KellyG
    Community Member

@twaddington so are the developers. :)

• m4gr01ino
    m4gr01ino
    Community Member

thanks for the clarification. Just installed the beta and was a bit worried, too. :)

• Hi guys! Just wanted to let you know this permission has been removed on the most recent update.

This discussion has been closed.