I'm not receiving notifications

rowen
rowen
Community Member

I tried to set up my notifications such that I'd get email when somebody commented on one of my postings, but I never get any email and instead have to poll to see replies. Is this a known issue? My email address is correct (though it is a personal gmail account that is NOT reliable about putting spam into the spam folder; much of it simply seems to disappear, so that might be the problem).

For the record, I have email checked for the following:

• Notify me when people comment on my discussions
  • Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions
  • Notify me of private messages

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Can you confirm that you have clicked the star at the top of the thread to bookmark it?

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member

I didn't know I had to do that. I expected to be automatically subscribed when I start a thread or post to one.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2013

Many folks prefer not to receive email notifications, so it is a feature you must opt-in to. Please let me know if that doesn't resolve things for you. :)

I actually bookmarked this thread to test it myself, and I did receive an email notification of your post. If you're having trouble, I'm sure we can get it working as well for you as it does for me.

Cheers!

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member

I already set my notification preferences as originally noted. What else is required for opt in? I looked through the preferences and didn't see anything obvious.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Did you click the star to bookmark this thread as indicated in the screenshot I posted above?

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member

I was hoping there was a setting so the star automatically got checked when I started a thread. Apparently not.

• You should receive an email notification if you have Notify me when people comment on my discussions checked:

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member
    edited April 2014

Thank you, but unfortunately I already had "Notify me when people comment on my discussions": Email and Popup both checked when I started this thread. I apologize for not being more explicit about my settings.

For completeness, here are my settings:
    * write on my wall: popup checked
    * reply to my wall comments: popup checked
    * comment on my discussions: both checked
    * comment on my bookmarked discussions: both checked
    * mention me: neither checked
    * commoent on discussions I've participated in: neither checked
    * private messages: both checked

It would be worth confirming that this is still the case, though I hate to clutter up your board with a new discussion just for that purpose. For now I've taken to always checking the star for any discussion I start, because I know that works.

• Hmm... we'll investigate and see if there are any problems with that option. Thanks!

Like you said, a good workaround for now is to always check the star for any discussion you start, because that works. :)

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member

Thank you. Also, I started a new topic yesterday (reporting a wifi synch issue with my iPhone). I just unchecked the star for that to see if I get notifications. I'll report back if and when I notice any replies to it.

• Thanks, please let us know. :)

• rowen
    rowen
    Community Member

I just got two replies to the other thread, so it seems to be working fine. Whatever the problem was, it seems to be fixed. Thanks for the help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rowen,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're all sorted out! We're here if you have any further questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.