Wallet Items versus Secure Notes

I like the Wallet item "template" more than using the secure notes item because it is more organized for the things I think that should be secured.
unfortunately, The one item I would like to use here I cannot.
In Portugal (and other countries) we have a Citizen Card with all our Citizen Identity information (http://www.cartaodecidadao.pt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=26&lang=en.html ).
What are your thoughts on Wallet versus Secure notes items (your help do not help very much).

(Feature Request) I think that 1Password should have a Citizen Identity (Identity Item or a Wallet Item) that aggregate the all Government Certificates and Licenses with more info like the TaxPayerID, CitizenID, VotersID, CitizenCertificate SHA Thumbrint with Validation start and end date. Surely there are more people with this info that want them securely registered in the same place than hunters out there ;)
Best Regards


  • DBrownDBrown 1Password Alumni

    What are your thoughts on Wallet versus Secure notes items

    I'm afraid I don't understand the question. One is no more secure than the other: they're both protected by your master password.

    Thanks for the request for a new item type! They're hard to introduce, because they require a truly simultaneous release of 1Password on every supported platform, something we're not really staffed to achieve at this time.

  • My question on the "versus" were not about security (I understand that they are all ciphered), but about what were your thoughts on the uses for it when you created them.
    The difference that I see in the Wallet is that they are organized in fields (so could the notes be if you format the text), and have a one button copy field data/auto fill instead of the select and copy.

    Nor the Wallet nor the Notes are accessible by the Browser extension, that's why I think that an Citizen Identity with all the Wallet Items should be a must, more if we can select what we need to paste on the Browser Form like we do with login accounts when we have more than one to the same Form.

    I saw on some other posts, that when someone needed to have a customized Item they were redirected to the Notes. If I have 80% of the Item info I need on the notes, then I think I will use the rest 20% also on the notes even if there is something like that in the Wallet Item...
    I tried to use some of the Wallet Items (Gov ones ), but they seem to have a lot of redundant fields that are the ones that characterizes the Citizen as a person (name, age, sex, birthday...).
    Well I think that at the end of the day, it's just a question of organization... but I would like to have some feedback from the expert users on how they use the Wallet versus Notes (what are the % of usage on one type versus the other)

    Happy new year.

  • DBrownDBrown 1Password Alumni

    The existing item types do seem a bit Canada-centric, which isn't too surprising when you remember that the founders are Canadian. :)

    More to the point, though, I think it's simply a matter of "If there's a Wallet item (or an item in one of the other "vaults") that matches what you're trying to save, use it; otherwise, use a Secure Note item. If there's an item type that comes close, put whatever doesn't fit into the Notes field within the individual item."

    Note: 1Password 4 for Windows (currently in beta development) includes support for custom fields that you can organize into custom field sections, though still no custom item types. If you're interested, you can sign up for the beta program here: https://agilebits.com/beta_signups/winnewsletter.html

This discussion has been closed.