Recommended strategy for migrating from "1Password 3" to "1Password 4"

Options
Valentin
Valentin
Community Member

Good day … My current vault was generated in 1PW3 with 128bit encryption. If I directly use my 1PW3 vault in now upgraded 1PW4, will the vault information be re-encrypted into 256bit? Put differently, is there any benefit if I create a new, empty 256bit vault in 1PW4 and then import manually all items via .pif format?

Please let me know your thoughts. I tested both, both approaches work, but obviously importing manually is more work, with unclear benefit.

Best regards

Valentin.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

The good news here is that you will get the 256-bit encryption for your data stored locally within the 1Password 4 app no matter which way you import it. In 1Password 4 your data can potentially be stored in two places:

• First, your data is always stored within the Library protected with 256-bit encryption.
    • When you choose to sync your data, a copy is made and stored in the appropriate sync locale. This copy will either be encrypted with 128-bit encryption (Folder Sync and Dropbox) or 256-bit encryption (iCloud). We will be upgrading Folder Sync and Dropbox to make use of the new 256-bit encryption once 1Password 4 is available on more platforms.

I do, however, want to assure you that 128-bit encryption is secure. But don't take my word for it, our security guru has a great post that explains Why we're moving to 256-bit AES keys. :)

Please let me know if you have any further questions!

• Valentin
    Valentin
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the clarification. I absolutely missed that for Dropbox 1PW is still on the old keychain format. I don't care so much about the 128 bit vs 256 bit debate, at the same time the new keychain format brings benefits as encryption of titles, better protection against certain types of attacks. I look forward to having the new format on dropbox soon.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Valentin,

You're right, there are some other benefits to this new keychain format - we're working hard to get other platforms updated so that everyone can take advantage of this new design as soon as possible. Thanks so much for your feedback, and your patience :)

This discussion has been closed.