Trying to create a working login form for binck.be

Options
Tijl Willemsens
Tijl Willemsens
Community Member
edited January 2014 in Mac

I'm trying to create a working login form for this site:

https://login.binck.be/klanten/login/

The one 1password creates doesn't work. Any idea how I have to setup the form, I tried a few things but nothing seems to be working.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tijl,

I was able to create a Login for the site you mention by following these steps:

• Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

This works for me, and I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works for you too!

• Tijl Willemsens
    Tijl Willemsens
    Community Member
    edited January 2014
    Options

Hi Megan

Thanks. I followed the steps, unfortunately it still says wrong password or login. When I look at the length of the password if fills in, it seems short, as if it fills in the username in both fields (so it does not fill in the password in the password field).

This site seems to recognize both username and password as password since both are made unreadable with dots…

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tijl,

I'm sorry that these steps didn't work for you! I did a bit of further digging, and it turns out it didn't really work for me either. You're right, the unreadable part of the form is messing things up. Because the website has coded both the username and password fields as a type=password, 1Password thinks they are both password fields and enters your password data in both places. Generally we rely on form fields having standard labels and name attributes. If fields aren't properly labelled, 1Password will make the best guess it can, and unfortunately, it's not always right. The form fields here are not labelled in a way that 1Password can recognize them.

Unless the website is able to update their information, your best solution here is to use copy and paste to fill in your information. You can use the anchor feature in 1Password Mini to make this easier:

• Click the key icon or use Command-Control-\ to activate 1Password Mini
    • Start typing the Login's name or find it using the mouse
    • When the details are in view, click the anchor in the bottom left of the pop-up to pin the window to the desktop

I'm sorry that I don't have a one-click solution for you here, please let me know if you have any further questions :)

• Tijl Willemsens
    Tijl Willemsens
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan

Again thanks for taking the time to answer. I've also send an email to Binck to see if they would change this. Meanwhile I will use your recommended method.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Tijl,

Here's a variation on @Megan's suggestion for handling this troublesome site:

• Create a Login item with the correct username and password, e.g.:

• Click the key icon or use Command-Control-\ to activate 1Password mini.

• When the item is selected in 1P mini tap Right-Arrow to display its details, e.g.:

• Tap the Return (Enter) key with username selected to copy it.

• Command-V to paste into the site Gebruikersnaam field, the tap Tab to move to Wachtwoord field.
    • Activate 1P mini again and similarly navigate to, select, and copy password, then paste into Wachtwoord.

Arrow key navigation with field copying in 1P mini is convenient combination. It's easier than it sounds. :)

• kleynjan
    kleynjan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

PMJI, I have the same problem with binck.nl/binck.be. Binck's silly password policies were what drove me to start using 1Password in the first place. Your suggestion is to basically use 1P as a copy/paste-board for usernames and passwords. I don't need 1P for that ;-)

There will be more and more sites using JS clientside logins, as Binck seems to be doing (knockout.js?), and I would like to see 1P customizable to the extent that I can configure the field values AND field names! that I want filled in. Hopefully, the rest of the client side JS will then pick it up after a manual submit. If that is already possible, I'd appreciate some pointers.

Cheers, Peter

• kleynjan
    kleynjan
    Community Member
    Options

OK, let me be the first to modify this:

(a) I just upgraded to 1P4, it looks as if sjk's suggestion is a bit more feasible there than in 1P3

(b) the ability to add custom fields seems to be present in 1P4 (yea!)

but (c) the knockout.js login form built by our brilliant Binck bankers does not have normal "name" attributes etc, only "data-bind"...
    Lord knows how we will manage our logins for all these "rich" Knockout, Angular, Ember, etc. apps that are in the pipeline...

Cheers, Peter

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback on this, Peter ( @kleynjan ).

I've updated the binck.be/binck.nl bug in our tracker, mentioning them as examples of how JavaScript 'MV*' framework usage can be problematic for saving/filling with the 1Password extension.

• Tijl Willemsens
    Tijl Willemsens
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

@kleynjan I've send a suggestion to Binck to change their form, I urge other Binck customers to do the same, maybe they consider the change if more people complain about it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Directly contacting Binck directly about their ill-written login form is a good idea, Tijl.

And 1Password will work fine with well-written forms even using newfangled MVC frameworks.

• onepointoh
    onepointoh
    Community Member
    Options

Hey guys, I too mailed them about it. They said they got multiple suggestions about this already, and are sending them to the developers, but no action has yet been taken (and I fear it's not very high on their priority list either).

Can I make a suggestion to allow us to enter CSS selectors for each field? If we can just say "enter username into $('[data-bind="value: $root.username, setFocus:true"]')" and the same for password, that'd fix this problem (and several others - banking sites are notoriously bad for their login forms).

I'm aware it's probably not the most user friendly of solutions, but it's a solution without being dependent on site owners.

You could even have a "blacklist" of URL's that require special treatment, and load those up in 1P, so that the user doesn't need to enter the above selector, but rather 1P detects that the form's fields are defined by the above CSS selector.

I also bought 1P mostly because of the login forms of netbanking sites, that don't work with the built-in password-saver, so it's quite disappointing that 1P now doesn't work on those.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @onepointoh‌,

Thanks so much for the feedback here! I'm glad to hear you're putting a bit of pressure on the site, here's to hoping it encourages them to make some updates. :)

This discussion has been closed.