Synching Question

I am a new user. I have 1Password version 3.8.21 ( build 3209 ) on a Mac running OSX 10.7.5. I want to synch my notebook with 1Password on my iPhone and iPad, but when I go into Preferences ( per the instructions I am following on your website ) I don't see a Synch Icon. Am I following the wrong instructions ? Will I be able to synch through ICloud or will I have to use Dropbox ?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @john55,

To sync 1Password 3 for Mac with your iOS devices (which I'm assuming are updated to 1Password 4), you will need to use Dropbox. Unfortunately, 1Password 3 for iOS is no longer able to sync via Dropbox due to a change in Dropbox's API. You will need to be using 1Password 4 for iOS on your mobile devices to sync via Dropbox with 1Password for Mac. (iCloud is a sync service new to 1Password 4, so you would need to have 1Password 4 on all devices for iCloud to work.)

I'm not sure which instructions you were following on the website (there are a lot of places to look, I know!), so I'll include a few handy links here:

• How to: Configure Dropbox Syncing will tell you how to install Dropbox if you haven't already done so.
    • Automatic Dropbox Syncing - the first part of this article has a handy video on how to get 1Password syncing via Dropbox, the second part though refers to 1Password 3 for iOS, so things will look a bit different for you with 1Password 4 for iOS.

Once your data is stored in Dropbox, here's how to Configure your mobile devices to use your existing data file in Dropbox

If you run into any snags during this process, please let me know where things go sideways and we'll work forward from there :)

• john55
    john55
    Community Member

I upgraded my operating system to Mavericks so I will be able to use 1Password4. What is the easiest way to upgrade my notebook from 1Password3 ? If I go to IStore and buy 4 will my data transfer from 3 to 4 or will I have to do that manually ?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @john55,

You can purchase 1Password from either the Mac App Store or our website. If you have already purchased 1Password 3 from our website, you can input your license information on our upgrade page to see your available discount on 1Password 4.

Once you install 1Password 4, it should detect your datafile automatically :) Please follow our Setting Up 1Password guide for instructions. If you run into any snags in the process, just let us know and we'll help you through it!

• john55
    john55
    Community Member

Great, I will give it a try. Thanks !

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @john55,

Always happy to help - I hope installation goes off without a hitch :)

This discussion has been closed.