Will 1Pswrd defeat keyloggers,password&email/gmail theft,iMac manipulation,security software dismant

Options
Student
Student
Community Member

I just purchased 1pasword but I have not gotten the opportunity to use it yet. When it downloaded, more chaos broke out.

I am using a borrowed computer because my iMac 10.9 won't completely erase and I found a partition that is locked or the erase option is grayed out so I can't delete it.

I was doing some research and I came across your profile. You seem to be the right person to ask questions. I've experienced security issues on my free email accounts & I need your expertise, input, links, or referrals on solutions. Email me with answers. iMac, mac pro, & passwords are never shared, all security measures are in place for wifi setup, 2Step verifications, and all other configurations for the computer. But I still have these problems. What am I missing? What should I look for as far as things/words implanted in my computers. What else should I get to protect me; apps, a programs, software, etc. Is there something I should be looking for in the utilities or the library?

1. How to stop a remote person from logging into my email during the time I am checking my email.

2. How to prevent a remote person from logging into my email after I log out; the details only show my IP address for logging in.

3. How to prevent a remote person from deleting the activity list to hide illegal activity and sending out emails to people I don't know, not on my contact list, etc.

4. Notifications are turned on, but the phone call notifications are illegally turned off and the link is grayed out to prevent turning it back on.

5. The 2-Step verification codes are blocked when they are entered &/or copied so I can't use them to log in.

6. phishing log in pages popup for all account links to force entering the password before viewing any page. I don't enter, I just bring up a new tab or re-log in.

7. gmail/cox communication mail/chrome/firefox/safari browser tabs freeze. A new tab or re-log in occurs w/in 30 to 60 seconds. During that time all email is stolen and removed.

8. a reconfiguration causes all links on computer to display every file for apps/utilities/computer/network/documents/ etc. Everything in the computer. If I want to attach a file to an email, the attach link displays or opens everything in the computer.

9. some computer links are hidden; utilities is
    empty, etc. I have to do a spotlight search for them.

10. input tools have been added. a keyboard icon is visible on login page for computer. I turned these off but the commands are ignored or bypassed

11. the log in page should be set up type in computer name and password for security, but all measures are bypassed. The commands are on but they are ignored or bypassed.

12. I found the terminal on the screen after login 2 times. Since I am not familiar with what the terminal controls, I did not know what to do. I found a command to bring up the last 100 commands, but nothing shows up. Something was done but I wish I knew what it was.

13. Homework reports, final papers, research information, etc. are stolen and prevented to upload to my school for grades. My personal information at school was hacked and looked into. I complained to the tech person and she denied that the school mail and information could be hacked; impossible. I could not get her to understand the problem. This is the work of someone who is an expert.

14. I spent hundreds of dollars on security software and EVERY single one of them was dismantled. The programs that could be repaired via updates took longer, but they became useless too.

15. The Apple App Store is an app itself. It has been manipulated to demand re-entering of the password for every singe link and download. Apps have been reconfigured or used as backdoors into computer activity. No many how many times the credit card, ID, and password has been changed, there are still problems with getting into my account.

In the past, I had no knowledge beyond logging in and using the computer. I had to learn. Before I was forced to learn the above information, I would created a multitude of gmail accounts in an effort to outrun the abuse. Now I see that I am being stalked via gmail and any other account I open; PayPal, Amazon, Bank Accounts, etc. I can use someone else's computer to log into gmail and notice that the friend's computer and accounts are not touched; only mine.

It is time I learned more ways to protect myself but I am stuck as to where to get this information. The average tech person I talk to can't understand or believe I'm having these problems. I learned a lot from reading blogs like LifeHacker and similar sites.

On my computer, I think that very security measure has been turned off but just looks like they are on. My computer and email are not safe. I have erased my computers several times. I have bought both Windows and Mac products, but they are all corrupted. I see that getting new products and using borrowed computers don't work and are not the answer.

What should I look for to fix this? Is there someplace in my computer that is not readily known that I am missing? Example...I just learned about the library. It is hidden and can only be opened with the go+alt buttons. After I learned this, I was able to ready all lines and erase unfamiliar items. This helped a lot in the past, but now there is something I can't see or read. Perhaps the terminal is the clue. If so, I need more education or this and anything else I need to know about.

What should I do. How can you help.

Comments

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @student, welcome to our forums.

I'm not going to offer specific advice just yet; there are lots of different questions that you asked. But I am going to offer some general advice.

It is great that you are being vigilant, I wish more people were paying more attention to security threats.

However, I've also learned over the years that panicked people can end up making poor security choices. So my first piece of advice is that you make yourself a cup of tea and take a deep breath.

One mistake that we make when we get panicky is we start to treat every thing we don't fully understand as evidence of an attack. "Why did that ice-cream truck park there; there aren't any kids? The driver must be casing the neighborhood!"

There is far more opportunity to fall into that kind of thinking with computer systems because there is simply so much going on that we don't understand.

For example, OS X won't let you erase the "Recovery Partition", which plays a special role in the boot process. I don't know if that is what you are seeing on your Mac, but it is the first thing that comes to my mind.

But even if I can explain that one, there probably are things on your list that I can't explain, but that is the nature of the complexity of these systems. When I look at the system logs on my Mac, I don't understand everything in there even though I've been looking at system logs for 30 years. But what I have learned is that when I do take the time to research one one of those things is all about, it is very very very rarely a sign of a compromise. (Once in 30 years.)

And just a few minutes ago, an chat application crashed just as I was writing about the NSA. But I gripe about the NSA often, and this chat application isn't always the most stable thing.

I'm not trying to dismiss your concerns, but the list that you've provided tells me little about whether you are under attack, instead it tells me that you have started to treat all unexplained activity as evidence of an attack.

It does sound like your system has been damaged, for example, having an empty Utilities folder. But, and this goes back to what I said earlier about panicked people making poor security decisions, I am more inclined to suspect that some of the security tools you've installed are responsible for that sort of damage. The lack of a bash history in the Terminal could simply mean that there is no history (you haven't used it before) or that some security measure cleaned it out.

Without getting my hands on the computer and doing a detailed forensic analysis (not something I'm willing to do or particular trained in), to the the extent that there is genuine damage it looks for more like the results of your counter-measures than of malicious attack.

I would like to follow up about your school email compromise. Can you elaborate on what leads you to believe that someone got into it?

Thanks!

-j

–-
    Jeffrey Goldberg
    Chief Defender Against the Dark Arts @ AgileBits
    http://agilebits.com

This discussion has been closed.