Does 1P 4 Mac, iPhone, iPad cover you?

smitpat
smitpat
Community Member

I totally get the concept of different strong passwords for every location and the concept of a password manager. I have 1Password for Mac, for iPhone, and for iPad, but I'm nervous about taking the next step of generating strong and different passwords for everything. Are there situations where you might be stuck clicking "Forgot Password" on a site, or will having all 3 products set me up for always being able to login? It sounds great in theory, but I just have this feeling that, as a person who logs in and out of various sites and apps all day long, it's not going to be nearly as seamless as one would hope. Any lessons learned? Success stories from people like me? Thank you!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smitpat,

I'll admit, I'm completely biased here, but since no one else has chimed in, I'd be happy to tell you my experience with 1Password. :)

I have essentially the same set-up as you with 1Password 4 for Mac syncing to 1Password 4 for iOS via Dropbox, and I haven't yet had to go through the 'Forgot Password' procedure. There are several safety features in 1Password that make me feel a lot better about generating strong passwords and storing them in 1Password:

• First of all is the 'Passwords' category. Every password generated by 1Password will get stored in this category until it is safely converted into a Login.
    • Password history is also saved within each Login, so if I change my password but it is not properly updated on the site, all I have to do is click the 'previously used passwords' button to see the password history for the site.
    • 1Password runs frequent backups and saves the most recent 30, so if something ever does happen to my database, I can choose the most recent, uncorrupted backup and restore my system.
    • In 1Password 4, data is stored both locally and in the sync store, so if something happens to my computer, there is a copy of my data in Dropbox/iCloud. Conversely, if something happened to my datafile online (say if I accidentally deleted it from Dropbox while trying to clean up my files), I haven't lost my entire database, because it is also stored on my computer. Redundancy is a good thing :)

There is a strong benefit to using 1Password on multiple devices, as there is less chance of a bug completely blocking your access to 1Password. However, even if there was such a bug (or if you just use 1Password on a single platform), if you store your database in Dropbox, you could still access your files via 1Password Anywhere on any modern web browser.

I hope this gives you an idea of how 1Password works to safeguard your data, but if you have any further questions, I'd be happy to help :)

• AShearer
    AShearer
    Community Member

As an unbiased new user, I will add to this thread. I was looking for a solution of this type and breadth. I was using yojimbo, great little clipping and storing secure database that used to sync across all my devices, (3 macs, 3 pads, 2 iPhones) but, as of IOS7 and Mavericks, no more. I used YJ by copy/ paste. It did not have a PW generator, but is lockable. I thought this was okay ,but realized I was using weak passwords and reusing passwords. 1P, solved several problems. Syncing with all devices, two of which will NOT run the latest Mac OS's, another whole problem in itself. I'm using both 1PW 4.x and 3. X to get by this. Also generating and remembering strong Pw's. Logging in to any site without having to copy/ paste. Yes, there is a learning curve. The web is a huge place, right? So many different web forms. I have had to adapt a little to log in pages that require two separate pages to log in. So, I have to click on 1 Pass twice. Geez, I see people complaining about this. Are you kidding? What application can do that in one move? Be skeptical about the whiners complaints.

Best.

This discussion has been closed.