Vault Concepts

Options
tomoy
tomoy
Community Member

I'm curious about this multiple vault feature. If I sync my data with Dropbox. It's the whole fish of data up there right? Encrypted, but the whole fish. Then I share that via Dropbox with someone else. So they have access to the whole fish. Encrypted, but the whole fish. But they don't have my master password. So I create a second vault with its own password. Then I give that second password to the sharing person. And that gives them access to just the secure stuff that's in the second vault?

Am I getting that right? So there isn't a way to put just the shared second vault data on Dropbox. And there isn't a set of users or permissions, right? Not that I think I need these, I just want to make sure I understand. Thanks in advance to anyone who gets it!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tomoy,

I'd be happy to help explain 1Password's multiple vaults for you. I know it can be a bit confusing!

If I sync my data with Dropbox. It's the whole fish of data up there right? Encrypted, but the whole fish.

The key thing here is that with multiple vaults, each vault has separate sync settings. So your primary vault could be synced to iCloud, and your secondary vault could be synced to Dropbox. But yes, your keychain is always encrypted - the whole fish (or enchilada, if you prefer!)

Then I share that via Dropbox with someone else. So they have access to the whole fish. Encrypted, but the whole fish. But they don't have my master password. So I create a second vault with its own password. Then I give that second password to the sharing person. And that gives them access to just the secure stuff that's in the second vault?

To share data with a person, you will only share the secondary vault. If you sync both your primary and secondary vault to Dropbox, and they will show up as separate .agilekeychain files. The 'shared.agilekeychain' (or whatever name you've given your shared vault) will be what you share, your primary 1Password.agilekeychain will stay only in your Dropbox. There are detailed instructions on how to share a non-primary vault here. Just remember that Secrets can't be unshared.

I hope this helps, but we're here if you have any further questions!

This discussion has been closed.