Finally moving to the new version

bsauer
bsauer
Community Member

I've finally upgraded to version 4, and from my old iPad 1 to an Air. I purchased version 4 for iOS, and can't access Dropbox to get to the security key and my existing passwords. The app won't accept my master password.
I know there were a lot of issues with the new release, and I'm prepared to reenter my passwords. I would like to know what the process is for getting access. I believe I will need to delete the app from my iPad, delete the security key manually from Dropbox, reinstall the app, and then set up as a new user. Does anyone know if this will work?

Thanks.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bsauer,

I'm so sorry to hear that you've been having trouble getting your data into the new version of 1Password. You certainly shouldn't have to re-enter all of your data here. Let's figure out what's going on here:

• Do you have 1Password installed on any other computers or devices?
    • If so, please provide the version numbers of 1Password and the operating systems for each computer or device :)
    • Do you currently have the Dropbox app installed on your iPad?

Once we know a bit more about your situation, we might be able to sort it out without you having to re-type your entire database :)

• bsauer
    bsauer
    Community Member

I've got 1Password on our PC in the old trial version. We haven't used it there much. I'm hoping to upgrade this once the iOS issue is fixed. It's also on my iPhone 5. It worked briefly there, I was able to set up a PIN. I can access it through the PIN, but not a password. It doesn't recognize the master password I use on my old iPad.

Dropbox is on both iPads. An old version for the old iPad, and the latest for the Air. The Air and the iPhone have 7.0.4, and the old iPad has 5.1.1. The old iPad has 1Password 3.7.2. The iPhone has 3.7.2 as well which works with the PIN, but not with the password (you can view the list of accounts, but not the passwords themselves without the master password). When I enter the master password which works on the old iPad, it will not accept it.

The new iPad was whatever was current about two weeks ago. It allowed me in, but would not let my sync Dropbox and will now not accept my master password from the old version.

Does this help?

I've got about 60 passwords stored. If there's no easy migration solution, it's not that terrible to redo it.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bsauer,

It's starting to sound to me like you may have forgotten your Master Password. For your privacy and security, your master password is known only by you. We cannot reset it for you and you cannot change it without entering the old one. There is also no "back door" to access your data without the master password. If there were, that would be a security hole that criminals could exploit to steal your information.

If you think you know what the password is, but it is not being accepted, please see the tips in this guide:

http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-forgot-mp.html

Please try each tip, for we have found them to be the most common causes of this problem. If you cannot remember the password, you will need to restore from a backup or start over. Both of these steps are documented in the guide.

If you've really never stored anything in your 1Password data file then starting over is really easy -- but you'll want to make sure and provide a good "password hint" so you don't forget the master password again.

I hope this helps get you all sorted. Please let me know if you run into any snags during the process - we're her to help!

This discussion has been closed.