Where are instructions for wireless syncing with 1Password 3.8.21 on iPhone and my Mac?

There are great instructions for syncing with 1Password 4, (http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Features/Sync/wifi.html) but I can't find them for 1Password 3. I really want to use the my home wireless system to do the syncing.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lisp,

I'm sorry that our help documentation has been difficult for you to find. We've been migrating our documents from 'help.agilebits.com' to 'learn.agilebits.com', so it can be a bit trickier to find the articles for our legacy versions. You can find our article on syncing 1Password 3 via Wi-Fi here: Wi-Fi Sync

I hope this gets you all sorted out, but please let me know if you have any further questions - I'm happy to help :)

• Lisp
    Lisp
    Community Member

Thank you very much for the instructions. However, my iPhone doesn't have the same options that are in the instructions so I can't figure out how to sync wirelessly yet. It looks like I have 1Password version 4.3.2 (I guess that must be 1Password version 4) on my iPhone 5. Can you tell me where the instructions are to wirelessly sync with my Mac that has 1Password 3? I purchased and installed both of these two days ago.

The AgileBits guy I talked to during my purchase said the iPhone version I downloaded will work with 1Password 4 on my Mac. I assume that when he said they work together, that includes syncing wirelessly and all other functions.

Thanks very much for your help!

• Lisp
    Lisp
    Community Member

Oh, and BTW, I had to install 1Password 3 on my Mac because I have Lion OS, not Mountain Lion. That's why I contacted AgileBits and they guy said the phone version I just had downloaded would work with 1Password 3.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lisp,

I'm so sorry for the confusion here! Unfortunately Wi-Fi sync is version-specific. Our developer re-wrote everything when designing 1Password 4, and that includes our Wi-Fi sync. That means things work a bit differently in version 4 than they did in version 3, so syncing via Wi-Fi between different versions is just not possible. To get your 1Password 4 for iOS on your iPhone synced up with 1Password 3 for Mac, you'll want to use Dropbox.

Please let me know if you run into any snags during the process. :)

• Lisp
    Lisp
    Community Member

Thank you for the information.

Can I replace my iPhone version with a previous version? I don't think it's fair that I got two versions without knowing it (I don't even know if I they offer a 1Password 3 version on my iPhone). Also, the 1Password guy said both versions that I have will work together and that's how I based my purchase decision on the version I got for my computer. When I looked in iTunes to buy 1Password for my iPhone, it didn't mention versions, it just showed my the one version.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Lisp,

Unfortunately, 1Password 3 for iOS was removed from the App Store in December of 2012 when we first started offering 1Password 4 for iOS, so it is no longer available.

We can still keep 1Password 4 for iOS synced up with 1Password 3 for Mac. If you are unwilling to use Dropbox as I suggested before, you can use iTunes File Sharing. Please note that this is a manual process, so you will need to be sure that you do this each time you update your database on either your computer or your iOS device. It's not as smooth and seamless as Dropbox, but it will keep your data updated locally (if you want to avoid cloud syncing.)

• Lisp
    Lisp
    Community Member

You are being very helpful! One more question. Can I use iCloud in my case instead of DropBox? I am reading that iCloud seems more secure. If so, please direct me to the instructions for my situation for syncing with iCloud. Also, please direct me to the instructions for my situation for using iTunes file sharing. Thank you again!

• Hi @Lisp,

Unfortunately iCloud sync is not an option for you, only 1Password 4 supports iCloud sync. Dropbox is the only cloud syncing method available in 1Password 3 for Mac.

Instructions for iTunes File Sharing are here:

Getting Started with iTunes File Sharing

But I personally would recommend Dropbox. Unlike iTunes File Sharing which is a transfer of your data, Dropbox is true syncing solution. It will offer a much more seamless experience.

If you'd like to read about the security of storing your encrypted data in the cloud, and the Agile Keychain design, please see this article:

Security of storing 1Password data in the Cloud

As long as you are using a strong master password, your data is very secure regardless of where it's located.

Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.