Type of logins lost after downgrade from 1P4 to 1P3

__Greg
__Greg
Community Member

Hello.

I purchased 1Password 4 but I didn't liked it, so I removed it and kept my version 3 (it's sad, I liked the iOS one).
But, during the process, some type of logins changed: I have around 30 "FTP" logins, but they're not of the "FTP" type anymore, they're "Generic" logins now.
It's not a big deal, I haven't lost any information, it's only a bit annoying.
So, is there a way to change them from "Generic" to "FTP"? (I guess not, but...)

Another one, for the road: I guess the browser plugins won't evolve anymore? :/

Thanks.
Greg

Comments

• Hi @__Greg,

It's too bad that you didn't like 1Password 4. I personally love it! What did you feel was wrong with it?

There's no way to switch an item's category without re-creating it in the new category and manually transferring all the data. There's a difference in categories between version 3 and 4, so having used 1Password 4 may give you some issues with categories.

The version 3 browser extension has still been receiving some updates since 1Password 4 was released. From the release notes, you'll see that version 3.9.21 was just released on January 14, 2014. But I would expect that if any further updates are released, they will just include minor bug fixes. I think AgileBits has ceased development on 1Password 3 for the most part, so you'd be better off to use 1Password 4. That's where you'll see all the latest new features and improvements.

• __Greg
    __Greg
    Community Member

Hi @JasperP

That's what I though, the category can't be changed easily. Too bad, I'll have to make it myself.

For the things I didn't liked in 1Password 4... well, it's not a big thing but plenty of small annoying things.
    The wifi sync is one of them, a bit more complicated than with the version 3, but lots of people already said that.
    Another small one, the one that made me downgrade:
    When the popup appears to save a new login/password, the problem is what I call "the dismiss area". To dismiss with 1P3 you only need to click anywhere on the screen, no need to even move your mouse. Now with 1P4, you have to go to the other side of your screen and click the dismiss button. That is a small detail, but very annoying when it comes several times a day (and with 2 x 27" screens like me, it's even worse ^^).

Too sad for the browsers plugins, since there's a problem with other plugins in Firefox. Some plugins seem to use a new API (or something) and as a result, the 1Password plugin is pushed to the right of the toolbar -_-'

Thanks for your answer :)
    Bye.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

Hi, @__Greg.

I'm sorry 1Password 4 didn't work out for you. Many improvements are still ahead, including to Wi-Fi syncing. I hope you'll consider giving it another try.

Now with 1P4, you have to go to the other side of your screen and click the dismiss button.

Tapping the Escape key will dismiss the auto-save window.

Do you still have 1Password 3 backups that could be used to restore certain items to their original categories/types?

• __Greg
    __Greg
    Community Member
    edited February 2014

Hi @sjk.

I hope you'll consider giving it another try.

Of course, it's not even uninstalled, just kept in a warm place till the time is come :)

Do you still have 1Password 3 backups that could be used to restore certain items to their original categories/types?

Yes, it seems I have some backups since mid-September 2013, it should be enough I guess. I'll investigate to see if it's possible to roll back only some items. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have a good day.
    Greg

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad you've found a place for 1P4 to stay warm, @__Greg. :)

Since directly restoring individual items from backups isn't supported one strategy would be to export any items from 1P4 newer than your most recent 1P3 backup, then restore that backup and import the exported 1P4 items. Note that 1PIF format export files are unencrypted so it's best they're kept safe from prying eyes and securely deleted when unneeded.

Enjoy your day, too!

This discussion has been closed.