Don't get prompted to save password for a url

How can I prevent 1Password from prompting me for a password for a URL
When I log in to my bank I am prompted to enter numerous characters in a pre-determined password.
The prompted characters change every time I log in, hence I cannot save the password. So I don't want to be promped to save one in 1Password!

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

The setting "Ask to save new Login(s) in browsers" is global; there's no way to disable it for a given web site.

[Edit: As @svondutch explains below, you can specify entire domains (not individual URLs) for which you don't want to auto-save new Login items. For whatever reason, it isn't implemented on a per-Login basis.]

Try saving a Login for the site that contains only the username and password. Perhaps that will prevent 1Password from detecting that you've entered a different string from what's saved.

Please let us know if that helps, @TimTDP.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

The setting "Ask to save new Login(s) in browsers" is global; there's no way to disable it for a given web site.

Assuming you're using Chrome or Firefox or Safari, here are your steps:

1. open Chrome (or Firefox, or Safari)
    2. click on the 1Password icon
    3. unlock, then click on the gear icon in the lower-left corner
    4. click on "Logins"

Now enter your bank's domain name in the area under "don't auto-save on these domains".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

(cringe)

Thanks for the reminder, @svondutch!

I had expected to find an option in the Login item's edit dialog box.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

I had expected to find an option in the Login item's edit dialog box

In 1Password version 4 we have moved this setting where it should be: File > Preferences (Ctrl+P) > Auto-Save

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2014

I see. For consistency, then, why not move the Login-level Auto-Type option to a Preferences tab with a list of sites where you do (or don't) want to use auto-type?

You could do the same with the Login-level Scope option and even Auto-Submit option, for that matter.

Using either Preference tabs for all of them or Login-edit options for all of them would reinforce knowledge of where to set Login-level options, rather than just having to remember that some are set in the Login-edit window, but some are set in global preferences, instead.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@DBrown auto-type-per-login (and scope) are conceptually not on the same level as "avoid auto-save on these domains".

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

That's only if you think of it as a domain-level attribute. I'm thinking of it as a Login-level attribute, like scope and auto-type.

This discussion has been closed.