Username doesn't fill on Mechanics Bank site

Options
DavidB
DavidB
Community Member

With Mechanics Bank, my password fills in but the username doesn't. https://mechanicsbank.com/mechbank/Mbwebsite.nsf/home/index

By the way, is this the right place to report this?

Thank you,

David

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

Banks often seem to be a challenge but have to you tried the relatively easy option of saving a new login manually for the site, as that sometimes works?

Edit: yes, by all means come here for help with things like this!

Stephen

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

@Stephen_C

Thank you for the suggestion. When I click "Save new login," though, the 1 Password Autosave box doesn't appear, so there is no new login to save. I am using the Agile website version of 1P 4 with OS X 10.8.5. I get the same results in either Safari or Firefox.

Edit: I can't get the 1Password Autosave box to appear with other sites either.

David

• Hi @DavidB,

For the Login To Your Accounts: drop-down menu, do you select Online Banking?

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited February 2014
    Options

@JasperP,

Yes--that's the default.

After the password gets filled in and the username stays blank, I get an error message saying, "Please enter a valid User ID and Password." I can only log in if I then manually enter the User ID.

David

• Hey @DavidB,

I am able to create a login for that site that successfully fills both the username and password.

Here's a generic login that works for me. Please download this 1PIF file and import it into 1Password (File > Import...):

Mechanics_Bank.1pif

Test that login item on the Mechanics Bank site, and if it works correctly then change the username and password fields to your personal values.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP,

Thank you--I really appreciate your help.

Your login file works fine, but I am not sure it solves the fundamental problem. In other words, why doesn't the login I created work? Also, why doesn't the 1Password Autosave box appear when I click "Save new login"?

David

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP,

I clicked "Show web form details" and noticed that your login has "userid" where mine had "userNumber." I changed mine to "userid" and now it works fine.

Now my question is, why was mine different and how can I keep this from happening in the future?

David

• Hi @DavidB,

Someone else just asked nearly the same question and @jpgoldberg gave this great answer:

Typically this kind of thing happens when the internals of the form differs significantly from when the password was first saved. So it really isn't a question of how simple the form is, but in how different it is from what 1Password initially saved.

1Password will often be saving things from a registration or sign-up page, and then trying to fill on a login page. Usually this works, but there will be times when the internals of the form will differ enough in field names, that we run into the problem you encountered. By going through the "Saving a new Login manually" steps that @JasperP point you to, you are retraining 1Password on the correct page.

You might find yourself doing this every now and again, but once you do it for a Login, then it should be able to fill that page very well after that (until the website changes the nature of the form too much.) I hope this helps.

So basically you might run into a site every once in a while that it's necessary to save a new login manually. By following the "Saving a new Login manually" instructions, you should be able to create a working login for most sites.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    Options

@JasperP,

Thank you for the added info. The login page must have changed the user ID field name at some time but I was unaware of it. Also, I didn't know how to change field names in 1P. Next time I have this same problem I will know to check to see if any field names need updating.

My other related problem was that I can't save a new Login manually. (If I use the same login information, I never get the 1Password Autosave box.) I now see that this is a known bug and that there is a workaround here: discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/20674/can-t-manually-save-new-login

David

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @DavidB.

I'm glad you've resolved your issues with filling and saving, with help from our friends @Stephen_C and @JasperP, plus @Megan's workaround in the other topic. If anything else comes up "we'll" be here to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.