Using 1Password Chrome extension with multiple Chrome 'users'

Options
ivar
ivar
Community Member

So, Chrome has it's own internal concept of users, which is very handy when logging in to services with different accounts. (eg: test webapps, etc)
When I create a new Chrome user there are no extensions available and when I try to install the 1password extension, it has the little red warning sign over the 1password key and never manages to connect to the 1password app.

tldr: Is it possible to use the 1password with Chrom users ?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ivar,

Thanks for taking the time to write in to us! (I do like that you included the 'tldr', although your post certainly isn't long enough that I went cross-eyed reading it)

Unfortunately, 1Password seems to have trouble with multiple profiles right now. Our developers are working on finding a solution here, and I'll certainly add a vote to the issue tracker for you.

At this point, it is best to use only one profile with 1Password. I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you right now!

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member
    Options

I've hit the same problem as well - I'm working offsite for a customer and want to use a profile to keep my personal things separate from customer things and its frustrating that 1P doesn't work. I do hope you can come up with a fix. For now, I guess I will have to use Safari for customer stuff and chrome for personal stuff.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @365nice,

Which version of 1Password are you currently running?

This change is in the latest AgileBits website update (currently 4.2.2) and in the next Mac App Store update (coming soon), as noted in 1Password 4 for Mac Release Notes:

• Improved support for multiple Chrome profiles

Hopefully that'll fix the problem you're having.

• bUHAHnM4
    bUHAHnM4
    Community Member
    Options

Does 1Password officially support multiple Chrome users now?

I'm seeing strange behaviour, particular with the keyboard shortcut. Pressing it works (i.e. fills in the form and submits it) only sometimes. The rest of the time, the login form is filled but not auto-submitted, and the mini menu bar app (not the extension) pops up with no password items available/selected, and the password generator window up.

I haven't been able to figure out a pattern for when this happens/doesn't, but I am fairly confident it began when I added a second Chrome user.

• chrisdj
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hi @bUHAHnM4‌,

We do support multiple Chrome profiles with t he version 4 extension, but we do recommend having just one profile open at a time for everything to work smoothly. With multiple profiles active at the same time, you may see weird fill related stuff just like what you are describing.

ref: OPM-842

This discussion has been closed.