Firefox: right click in popup windows doesn't work

Options
DaveinJapan
DaveinJapan
Community Member

Hi. I searched a bit but didn't find a satisfactory answer to this matter. I've been using 1Password mostly in the Chrome browser and it's frequently useful to right click and select the 1Password password from the drop-down menu. Now I'm using 1Password in Firefox and that doesn't seem to be an option. Is there such an option.

As a matter of fact, that just occurred when I tried to log into this very website! Upon "sign in" a password box drops down. The only way to use my 1Password agilebits password in Firefox was to copy and paste it from the main app. Thanks in advance for your consideration on this matter.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using Firefox 27 with 1P4 4.2.BETA-3 and right click works for me, but perhaps I haven't understood exactly what you mean. Right click in a FF window allows me to bring up 1P4 mini from a menu (although I invariably use the 1P4 mini keyboard short cut of ⌘ + \). Do you mean you expect it to open showing the password for the page you are on? You might possibly find more useful the keyboard short cut I've mentioned.

Stephen

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @DaveinJapan.

Like @Stephen_C, I can access the 1Password context menu from this forum's Sign In overlay window in Firefox 27. Do you have trouble accessing it on the separate Sign In - AgileBits page?

• Joedds
    Joedds
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem with Firefox 27.0.1 and 1Password 4.1.3 for Mac. Reloaded browser extensions did not help.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Joedds,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the 1Password extension in Firefox.

When you right click in the "Sign in" popup for this forum do you see 1Password in the menu?

If it's a different problem can you describe some details, with an example site where the extension isn't working the way you expect it to? Once we better understand the problem we can suggest how to fix it. Thanks!

• nocturne
    nocturne
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having this same problem, with Firefox 27 and 27.0.1 on Mavericks. (I also had this problem with older Firefox versions on Snow Leopard with 1Password 3.)

I do not see 1Password in the drop-down context menu on the link sjk posted on Feb 15.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @nocturne.

I'm sorry to hear this is a problem for you, too. I've found your earlier report with 1Password 3:

1Password Firefox plugin not working

Is that the same issue you're having with 1Password 4? It also doesn't support basic/HTTP Authentication popups. There's more information in these topics: here and here.

• sHz
    sHz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi all, I too have noticed this in Firefox, here's a quick way to replicate the problem:

1. Open http://www.nab.com.au
    2. In the top right menu, select "Internet Banking" > "Login" (large red button)
    3. Note that a pop-up appears, however right-clicking within the pop-up does not show the 1Password menu.

I hope that helps. It seems to only affect pop-ups. To work around the issue, I just use the Command + \ keyboard shortcut, however most people will not be familiar with this shortcut and expect a right-click menu option.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting this, @sHz.

Here's where I'm clicking in step 2:

In Firefox (27.0.1) on 10.9.2, this page opens in a new tab:

https://ib.nab.com.au/nabib/index.jsp

In Safari (7.0.1) and Chrome (33.0.1750.117), it opens that page in a new, resized popup window.

In all cases 1Password is available in the context menu. And autofill works with all methods.

Which versions of 1Password, its Firefox extension, and OS X are you running that you can reproduce this problem with?

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hi,

i'm having the same problem like @nocturne. Alle FF versions (30 at the moment), Mavericks 10.9.3 and no entry in the right-klick context menu. I've attached a screenshot of the forum login. The only possibility to use 1P in FF is the 1P "key" icon in the FF menu.

Mario

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @atomicbunny,

Using your example, try right-clicking outside Email/Username (or Password) field in that forum popover and 1Password should be in the context menu. It would be similar for other pages, i.e. use the context menu outside of fields when you want 1Password to appear.

Please let me know how that works for you. :)

• electricarts
    electricarts
    Community Member
    Options

Hi sjk,

yes, this works! Thanks for your advice! But why this behavior is different from the one in Safari or Chrome?

Mario

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2014
    Options

Hey Mario (aka @atomicbunny),

I'm glad to hear it's working okay like that for you, too. :)

In general, the way Gecko-based Firefox handles things like this can vary from how WebKit/Blink-based Safari/Chrome does it. It seems that Firefox uses a different context menu object when targeting form fields than other parts of the page. We'll see if it's possible to also include 1Password in the form field context menu.

Update: Jamie ( @jxpx777 ) has opened this related bugzilla report:

1024764 – context-menu does not show when right clicking form element

• DaveinJapan
    DaveinJapan
    Community Member
    Options

Glad to hear that - I look forward to seeing if it gets fixed. Thanks!

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @DaveinJapan,

I've asked Jamie about the followups to his bugzilla report and hopefully we'll be able to let you know whether or not this is something that can be fixed.

Edit: It does appear to be fixable, although at the moment I don't have an estimate of when that might happen.

This discussion has been closed.