Fluid alternatives?

Options
abyrnes
abyrnes
Community Member

Forgive me if I'm missing this in other threads.

Are there any fluid app alternatives that integrate with 1password?

What I'm trying to do is have a quick self contained app for specific web sites and have access to the 1password info for that site.

There must be a way to do this, right? App that lives in the dock and automatically brings up a webpage in a browser and gives me 1password login access for that site?

Tell me I'm just missing the obvious solution.

Thanks,

Anthony

Comments

• Jasper
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hi @abyrnes,

I'm not sure I completely understand your request. Do you want to have a bookmark in your dock that when clicked will open a webpage in your browser and auto fill the login from 1Password? If so, here's how to do that:

• Open the 1Password app.

• Click on a login from the list and drag it to your desktop. This should create a .webloc file there that when clicked will open in your browser and auto fill.

• If you'd like have the shortcut in your dock, move the file from your desktop to a permanent location (ex: a "1Password Bookmarks" folder that you create somewhere). Then from that location, drag the .webloc file to your dock (beside the trash can). It's important to note that you must keep the .webloc in it's location for it to remain in your dock. Also, you can customize the name and icon of the .webloc file to your liking before moving it to your dock.

Hope that helps! Or if that's not what you were looking for, please post a bit more info. :)

EDIT: I now see that there is an app called "Fluid", which you are most likely talking about. As far as I know, using an app such as that would not be able to integrate with 1Password. The 1Password browser extension must be installed in the browser in order to auto fill your login. The extension can be downloaded for Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. But the instructions above might be a possible workaround for you.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi, @abyrnes.

1Password 4 currently doesn't support browsers other than those that @JasperP mentioned with 1Password Extensions. 1P4 still supports 1Click Bookmarks (like 1P3), with @JasperP's example of creation/usage. I wish I had a better answer for you, but I do hope that helps :)

• memeLab
    memeLab
    Community Member
    edited July 2014
    Options

I'm looking for fluid support, too - There's mention of Fluid around agilebits - what's the status of this / how to install for Fluid - I don't see an item in the context menu…

• Jasper
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi @memeLab,

As far as I know, Fluid doesn't support browser extensions therefore can't integrate with 1Password 4.

The link you included is about a feature available back in 1Password 3 (when running on Snow Leopard).

Copying and pasting your password from 1Password mini into Fluid is the only option currently.

• neurogenesis
    neurogenesis
    Community Member
    Options

To add to the voice of Fluid users... I started using Fluid as a means to manage multiple Amazon AWS accounts. The way they handle logins prevents you from using multiple accounts in the same browser session. You have to either use multiple chrome profiles (using 1Password as normal) or use Fluid and manually click through menu icon / keyboard shortcut, select an item from favorites, copy the password field, re-select Fluid app, paste into the password field.

Integration with Fluid would be ideal. An alternative might be integration with Alfred, QuickSilver, or Spotlight (although while better in 10.10, it's still not as good as custom actions in Alfred or QuickSilver). That would allow you to select a field and paste a value from 1Password.

The desired workflow would be something like:

• hotkey for alfred/quicksilver/spotlight (cmd-space, shift-cmd-space, whatever)
    • type in the name of the Fluid app to launch ("acme-anvil")
    • hotkey for 1Password
    • type in the Fluid app to pull username & password from ("acme-anvil")
    • username and password from 1Password are pasted into the form fields in Fluid

If multiple fields can't be pasted, then selecting the password field and being able to paste from 1Password via keyboard shortcut would be acceptable.

• neurogenesis
    neurogenesis
    Community Member
    Options

It also occurs to me that integration with a tool that can launch an app and auto-fill fields would also be acceptable (think QA automation to launch a browser, fill out web form fields (based on div/class/id name).

For this two work, 1Password would need to have some sort of API. The workflow would work something like...

• use a hotkey to launch an arbitrary application (in this case a tool which populates web form fields)
    • the app makes a call to 1Password for a URI (a record in 1Password by name or id)
    • 1Password pops up a dialog to verify your password and grant access to supply the information via API
    • the application uses the returned fields to populate the web form (or whatever... i.e. could be a wrapper script for ssh connections)
  • neurogenesis
    neurogenesis
    Community Member
    Options

An example of web app automation would be something like Fake from agilebits (author of Fluid): http://fakeapp.com/

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @neurogenesis‌

I've been chatting to some of the very savvy people here in AgileBits about Fluid and thought I'd report back what I've learnt.

Prior to OS X Lion we were able to interact with other programs because of "Scripting Additions, Input Managers, and other goodies" but as of Lion these are no longer available. This was how 1Password used to be able to work with Fluid.

From a security point of view I don't foresee us having an API that others can utilise, it's much better if we can interact with their API and pass only the details we ask it to (which are the details you as the user ask us to pass). Working in this fashion we know what's happening. Given we deal with securing your passwords and sensitive information I think it's probably a wise approach. I don't know OmniWeb but I'm informed it's the exact same situation there too.

As a result it is doubtful we'll see an API. I hope you can understand why but please don't feel as if I'm try to stop the conversation, do post if there is more you'd like to suggest or ask and need be we can involve dev depending on the advanced nature of the suggestion or query.

• Tenex
    Tenex
    Community Member
    Options

I've wanted 1P / Fluid integration for years - if there's ever a chance of a browser button or any alternative do let us know.

My knowledge is limited but is it possible to develop along the lines of telling 1P to launch a Fluid SSB (rather than Safari tab) and then fill in the user details?

• Rad
    Rad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi guys,

Thank you for your interest in integration 1Password with 3rd party applications :+1:

This is a feature that we really wanted to have for many years now. However, we've been struggling with the tools and API available out there.

The 1Password for Mac integration with web browser is only possible via browser extensions.

Unlike 1Password 5 for iOS which uses the native iOS extensibility feature offered since iOS 8, the Apple APIs don't offer us the ability to create an API for 3rd party developers on the Mac, similar to the one we already have for 1Password for iOS via the App Extension API.

Opening URLs in your default browser is possible via URL schemes, while opening URLs in 3rd party apps is possible via AppleScript and AppleScript is not an ideal solution in the sandboxed world.

Hope that this helps :smiley:

Cheers!

• neurogenesis
    neurogenesis
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables @Rad ... so i think i now understand why you can't launch other pages from 1Password.

The keyboard shortcut for the mini-dialog works really well as is. It allows one of two workflows:

1) hotkey to open, type to search or arrows to select from dropdown, enter to open in a new browser tab
    2) hotkey, type to search, right arrow, enter on copy password field

I think the only suggestion I would have is to allow the user to type tab as an alternative to using the right-arrow key. If you're working in a regulated / compliance environment where every password is random, you'll find yourself doing this 20-30 times a day. The easier the better.

Otherwise I really like the 1Password app as it is on the Mac right now. Nice to see it coming along on my other devices too.

May thanks to the product and dev teams for a great tool !

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2015
    Options

@neurogenesis, on behalf of the others here, you're very welcome! I'm really glad you're enjoying 1Password.

As for your suggestion about using Tab instead of the right arrow key, the Tab key is actually already used to highlight the next category or item in the list in 1Password mini, just like the down arrow (Shift+Tab will highlight the previous category or item, just like the up arrow). I suppose that could be switched from up/down behavior to left/right, although anyone who currently uses Tab for up/down might not be too happy about that. ;) But if there's another way that might make it easier for you to navigate in 1Password mini, please let us know.

If you need anything else, you know where to find us! :)

This discussion has been closed.