First Impression

mtakacs
mtakacs
Community Member

Was super excited to get my invite to the beta.

Platform

version: 4.0.0b9 (b20140124)
phone: Nexus 5

Installation

The install went smoothly.

• Zipped up my 1Password.Vault folders, stored them offline.
  • The installer reminded me that I needed to allow untrusted applications, this was relatively easy to find.
  • The New/Existing user selection went great
  • I had my stuff in Dropbox, in "1Password.Vault" folder, which contained 2 keychains "Primary.agilekeychain" and a 2nd one
  • Master unlock password -- entered it wrong the first time. scared me. How about an option to see what Im typing. My master password is quite long, so it's a bit nerve wracking to enter it on a phone keypad
  • 580+ items to import -- the import went smoothly, but it seemed to go slower than I would have expected. In fact, my phone triggered it's screen lock at least twice while I was watching it import all my keys. (sleep setting is 1 min of inactivity), which means the import took at least 2-5 minutes. i watched every line for the first 100 or so, then let it alone. I was nervous that the android sleep would interrupt the import.

Look and Feel

• omg, yay. So much better looking than the old/current one
  • i like the dock icon

Login Screen

• opening lock animation is nice
  • I like how you can exit the app with multiple presses of the BACK softkey.
  • The use of the password entry field to message me is unexpected, but fun
  • the failure screen (hints of red) is nice
  • multiple password fails dumps you out of the app, but doesn't prevent me from trying again immediately

Sync

• i love the big prominent "sync/spinner" button

Settings

• I found myself on the Categories screen : It wasnt immediately clear to me that the settings menu (stack of square dots) and the settings (android gears in the left sliding panel). I originally went looking for the "advanced settings / screen timeout" in the stack of three-dots menu. It makes sense (now that I see the Lock/Help/Exit), but i was sorta of expecting a "settings" menu item in there.

Quick Unlock Code

• YAY! My most requested feature that I never bothered requesting!

Exit Application

• when I hit the BACK soft-key, it prompts me with an exit confirmation dialog. Ugh, but ok, I'll take it. HOWEVER, i'd like to be able to hit the BACK soft-key again to indicate "OK". I dont want to have to actually press the OK selector, i should just be able to BACK again. so, as a consequence, id like to hit BACK BACK and exit the app.

Usage / Login forms

• Bring back the LONG PRESS!! In order for me to copy my login or password to the clipboard, I have to select the (small) target for the menu (over on the right), and then select COPY or REVEAL. I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer the LONG PRESS anywhere on the password field. Fine, leave the menu there, but don't make me use it for my most common usage flow. (open app, find website, copy username to clipboard, flip back to chrome, copy password to clipboard, flip back to chrome)

Old App

• I'm not sure if I should leave the old app around or not. I understand leaving it around in beta, maybe it should go away
  • in fact, Im sorta nervous about opening it up at all.

Suggestions

• P1 - LONG PRESS on username/password triggers copy to clipboard
  • P3 - Option to "show password" during master unlock entry?
  • P3 - Cool-off period after 1 or 2 exit-app login failures?

More as I use it.

-Mark

Comments

• Thank you for the great feedback! It's good to hear that you like so many things about the beta so far and I'm glad that it's working well for you. The time that you are seeing for the initial sync is not out of line with what we have experienced in our own testing. Subsequent syncs should be very fast though.

As far as the the 1Password Reader app goes, it should be safe to leave it on your device. We definitely want to make sure that the two apps can co-exist, as older devices that cannot upgrade to Android 4.0 or newer will not be able to run 1Password 4.

Your suggestion to trigger copy to clipboard with a long press is a popular one in this forum. I will add your vote to the ongoing tally and pass it on to our development team. The other two suggestions may very well be first time suggestions. They are both interesting ideas, so I will also pass them on for consideration.

Feel free to keep the suggestions coming!

• RichardPayne
    RichardPayne
    Community Member

+1 vote for P1 and P3
    Personal I wouldn't use P2 but I can see it being a useful option to have.

• @RichardPayne I will make note of your votes. Thanks for the feedback.

This discussion has been closed.