Attachments are not synced between Mac and Windows 1Password Versions

Hi,

I've got the following annoying problem.
To one entry in 1P I attached one picture. Within my Mac und iPhone 1P this Attachmend shows up.
On Windows I can see old attachments, but not the wiring new one.
I use Dropbox for syncing. Alle versions are uptodate.
All other entries in sync.

Is there a workaround for that?

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Does it work in the other direction, @xterminated? In other words, if you attach a small test file to an item in 1Password for Mac, is it visible (after sync'ing) in 1Password for Mac and for iOS?

Also, once you've viewed the item in 1Password for Windows, can you still see its attachment in 1Password for Mac and for iOS?

Finally, is it one item type that shows the problem, or do you see it with all item types?

• xterminated
    xterminated
    Community Member

I fixed that problem. I delted the whole enty on windows, recreated it, attached the file again on my mac. On all 3 devices the file ist there now.
    Regarding your questions:

Does it work in the other direction, @xterminated? In other words, if you attach a small test file to an item in 1Password for Mac, is it visible (after sync'ing) in 1Password for Mac and for iOS?

--> Between Mac and iPhone it's always working like a charm. Only the windows version is somehow bitchy

Also, once you've viewed the item in 1Password for Windows, can you still see its attachment in 1Password for Mac and for iOS?

--> On Windows it showed 3 items (2 have been deleted a long time ago). On Mac and iPhone it showed only 1 item, which is correct

Finally, is it one item type that shows the problem, or do you see it with all item types?

--> In this case it's a bank account in my wallet. I thinks it's a general problem and nt specific to this type.

But now I got something strange. If I want to open that file on windows and a "save to file selection window" pops off. I can save that file and open it then. My expectaction is that it direclty opens with the default datatype viewer (in this case a picture viewer). That's how it works on my Mac. Am I wrong?

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

Yes, I'm afraid you are wrong. :)

In 1Password for Windows, the designed workflow is to save a copy of the attachment to the location of your choice, view it with the application of your choice, and decide whether to delete or retain the saved copy. That way, there's no "temporary" file in some "temporary" folder and available to anyone who gains access to your PC.

• xterminated
    xterminated
    Community Member

Ok, then my problem is fixed.
    I hope you will find a better way for the windows version in the future. From my user perspective this behaviour is not very comfortable.

TY for your help

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

You're very welcome!

It's a security question. In Windows, the file has to be copied somewhere to be opened; we don't want to leave a temporary copy around for someone to open. We may be able to re-evaluate that design when Windows' fundamentals change.

• TK1
    TK1
    Community Member

I have a kind of related problem. I have attached a file to a wallet item but after a while it disappeared. I re-attached it and the same happened again. I checked the dropbox folder and in the subfolder "a" inside 1p there are exactly the amount of folders as files attached (2) and I assume these are the encrypted versions of my attachments. How do I get 1p to load these files back into the respective wallet item? Thanks in advance.

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

I'm checking with Development, @TK1. We apologize for the delay...

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014

@TK1 please make sure the 1Password app on all your platforms is up-to-date.

Assuming you still have the attachment somewhere, please follow these steps:

1. Export the offending item to 1PIF (File > Export > 1Password Interchange File)
    2. Import this 1PIF into 1Password (File > Import)
    3. Re-attach your attachment to the newly created item.
This discussion has been closed.