Unable to unlock iPad

I am currently using 1Password on my Mac and iPhone. I just got an iPad, installed 1Password any synced it. Everything went well. This morning, I can not unlock 1Password on my iPad (I keep having Failed Attempts). My master password works on my Mac & iPhone. Any ideas?

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Hi russL,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

The Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password desktop Mac and your 1Password touch [Pro] app. Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password touch because of the interaction using the virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information stored within 1Password; without this password your data cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will delete your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again in the reinstalled app, and your data will start syncing to your iPad automatically.

* If you've previously synced your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync.

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/backup.html

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Quietwalker
    Quietwalker
    Community Member
    Khad,

A suggestion -- put this "master password never synced" information in the tutorials/startup information. I assumed it did and it was only when I browsed the forum that I realized it did not; perhaps I overlooked it. I'm curious -- I use 1P on 2 Macs -- am I correct that if I change the Master Password on one Mac it does not sync to the other Mac, either? I guess I just thought it would.....

khad wrote:

Hi russL,

Welcome to the forums! I'm sorry that you're having this problem.

The Master Password does not have to be the same between 1Password desktop Mac and your 1Password touch [Pro] app. Many users like to have a less-complicated one for 1Password touch because of the interaction using the virtual keyboard. Because they do not have to be the same, they are never synced from one device/platform to another.

Your master password is used to encrypt all your confidential information stored within 1Password; without this password your data cannot be recovered. Your 1Password master password is known only by you, and we cannot reset it for you; if we could, that would be a security hole that criminals could use to steal your data.

If you cannot remember the master password, you will need to delete the 1Password app from your iPad and start over. This will delete your 1Password data from your iPad, but there are several ways you might be able to recover that data, after you reinstall the 1Password app:

* If you've been using Dropbox to sync your data with 1Password for Mac or Windows, just set up Dropbox syncing again in the reinstalled app, and your data will start syncing to your iPad automatically.

* If you've previously synced your 1Password data with 1Password for Mac, you can easily restore your data during the next Wi-Fi sync.

* If you've used the built-in "backup and restore" feature to save a backup copy of your 1Password data, you can use it again to restore that saved backup file. You can read more about our backup and restore option here:

http://help.agile.ws/1Password_iPad/backup.html

I hope that helps. Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2010
    Your master password for your data file is always the same across all devices. If you change it on one desktop computer (Mac/PC) it will be different across all your desktop computers. It is not synced, per se, since it is obviously not contained within your data file for security reasons. :-) But once it is changed for your data file, any device/computer that syncs to that same data file will need to use the new password to access the file.

For this reason you will have to update your Dropbox sync information — this is where your data file master password is stored on your iOS devices — if you ever change your desktop master password. (This is done in Settings > Sync > Dropbox > Account.) Otherwise, you will get an error:

Master Password was incorrect. Please enter the Master Password you use on Mac or PC.

Please note that this password can be different than the password used for Dropbox, iPhone, or iPad.

That is why you are prompted to enter your "Master Password on iPhone" and "Master Password on Mac or PC" when initially setting up Dropbox syncing. You will not be prompted for the "Master Password on Mac or PC" if you use the same one on your iPhone since 1Password will only prompt for it after a failed attempt to use your "Master Password on iPhone."

This is listed in the Dropbox sync guide:

Assuming 1Password can log into Dropbox correctly and it finds your data file, you will be prompted to enter the Master Password that you used to secure your data on the Desktop. Note that if you used the same password as you used on Dropbox or iOS, it will be used automatically.
    SyncingEnterDesktopMP.png

I am terribly sorry if this was unclear. We'll try to make this more obvious in our documentation, specifically the Getting Started guides.

Please do let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.