Sharing & Sync Question

Options
MarkSale
MarkSale
Community Member

Hi Guys,
I have 1Password for windows loaded on my Win8 Laptop, using Dropbox, so i can access passwords from my Android Tablet.
I have a new iMac, are the databases for the 2 systems the same, so can i share one database on Dropbox and have Mac and Win 8 password data shared and updated?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkSale,

Since you're using Dropbox already on your Windows laptop, it should be a simple matter to sync your data to your Mac as well!

Just be sure that Dropbox is installed and running on your iMac. When you open 1Password for the first time, it should detect your data in Dropbox and prompt you for your Master Password. Simply type it in and your data will populate!

This should get you all sorted out, but if you have any further questions, we're here for you :)

• MarkSale
    MarkSale
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan
    Thanks for the reply,
    I have dropbox loaded on Windows and Mac machines.
    So if i purchase the "1Password Mac" and point it too my database (Created by "1Password Windows") i have one database for passwords across Mac & Windows machines ??

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MarkSale,

Yup, you're essentially correct that your 1Password data will be shared/synced between your Windows and Mac systems.

Is your 1Password for Windows data is already in Dropbox and has it been synced to your iMac?

After that's done, when you first run 1Password 4 on your iMac it should automatically locate your 1Password data in Dropbox and display the "Welcome to 1Password 4!" screen (mentioning Dropbox data), similar to the first image under Existing Users in the Setting Up 1Password 4 for Mac guide. There's also a "… or click here to select a different option" choice on that screen you can use if 1Password 4 doesn't automatically pick the correct data file (in your case, Dropbox). With the correct data chosen, enter your Master Password, wait for it to populate 1Password 4, and you data will be kept in sync between your Mac and Windows systems. Something like this:

Mac <---syncing---> 1Password data in Dropbox <---syncing---> Windows

Make a change in 1Password on your Mac and it'll be synced with the Dropbox data so 1Password on Windows will see it. And vice versa.

This discussion has been closed.