ack! there are 2 copies of my 1Password keychain in Dropbox

Options
williamporter
williamporter
Community Member
edited February 2014 in Mac

I now have 2 copies of my 1Password agilekeychain file in Dropbox: one at the root level — well, what I think of personally as the "top" level — and another inside a 1Password folder.

I have a pretty good idea how this happened. I was having sync issues very similar to those reported by another user. I noticed that somebody else said that the 1Password.agilekeychain file ought to be inside a 1Password folder at the root of Dropbox. So I created that folder, and then, on one of my computers, I disabled Dropbox sync, moved the agilekeychain file into the folder I'd just created, then back in 1Password reenabled Dropbox sync and pointed to the keychain file in its new location. I did this just one 1 computer — my iMac. It did not occur to me that I might need to do it on the Macbook Air as well. And I didn't do anything to my iPad or iPhone, either.

The real problem is, I don't know what to do now. I don't know how to go about fixing it. Any suggestions?

I'm using 1Password on 4 devices: an iMac and a Macbook Air (both running OS X v10.9) and an iPad 3 and an iPhone 5 (running latest iOS 7 update as of 2/27/14).

Will

Comments

• Hi @williamporter‌,

Here's what you do on the MacBook Air assuming that you didn't make any changes on this Mac that needs to merge in with the data file in the 1Password folder.

1. Open the main 1Password app, unlock, and go to the File Menu > Backup
    2. Now, go to the 1Password Menu > Preferences > Sync. Make sure it is pointing to the root data file in Dropbox, not the 1Password folder
    3. Press Change Syncing..., allow it to delete the data, it'd only remove the root data file, won't affect the one in 1Password folder.
    4. Now, click on Dropbox to enable the sync and select the 1Password folder in your Dropbox.

After that, it should mention that it found an existing data file and if you'd like to use it. Say yes, and you should then be in sync with both Macs.

You probably have to disable and re-enable the sync on your iOS devices, it should automatically detect the data file in 1Password folder.

I hope that helps.

• By the way, since this isn't related to the betas, I've moved this to the general 1Password 4 for Mac thread as it'd apply there as well.

• williamporter
    williamporter
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT, thanks for the clear instructions. I'll do as you suggest.

Sorry about posting in wrong forum. Since I'm using the beta I thought I should post there; but I guess this was a user issue not a beta issue. :-)

And my sincere apologies to the English-speaking world for misspelling "copies."

Will

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @williamporter, on @MikeT's behalf. He probably didn't know you were using the beta before moving your topic and I guess we could call this is a beta and non-beta issue. :)

I hope his instructions get your Dropbox syncing sorted out. If you have any more trouble with that please let us know.

What misspelling? :)

This discussion has been closed.