In Chrome 33.0.1750.117 the extension cause Google Chrome Helper to consume over 50% of CPU process

Options

Hi,

I’ve noticed this behavior in the last three or four versions of Chrome. Without apparent reason, Chrome will suddenly start consuming up to 99% of CPU process (often more around 50% but still way more than usual). Fans start sinning, etc.

If I open Activity Monitor, I’ll see that the culprit is Google Chrome Helper. If I Force Quit the Google Chrome Helper that is using all the process, than 1Password extension crashes. My solution for the moment is not to use the 1Password extension. But it’s really an inconvenience.

Any chance to fix this? Or is it entirely on Chrome’s side?

Thanks,

P.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @PaulNX,

Thanks so much for providing the detailed report here. The Google Chrome Helper is a Chrome tool unrelated to 1Password. A new helper will be created for each tab that you open. So if one of the Helpers is using a lot of CPU, this is likely because one of the pages that you've opened requires a lot of work. I'm not quite sure why quitting the process would cause the extension to crash, but we could get a bit more information by generating a Diagnostic Report after then next crash.

To create a diagnostics report on OS X 10.7 Lion or OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, please follow these instructions:

http://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/12057

[Note]: If you use OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or OS X 10.9 Mavericks, generate the report by downloading a separate tool. http://i.agilebits.com/kyle/tools/1Password_diagnostics.zip

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@ agilebits .com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

This discussion has been closed.