Delta Airlines Login [Don't forget to switch over to Delta's new password system]

Options
doctormo
doctormo
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Is there any way to automate the login for Delta? Site asks for signup name/account and password then asks for last name in a popup window.

Not a big deal since I can remember my last name but it would be nice if it could do it in one click. Anyone know?

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Which Delta Airlines login page/form are you using? On the main https://www.delta.com page 1Password fills these two fields from a single Login item:

And I'm logged in after that without any popup for entering a last name. What am I missing that's happening differently for you? :)

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

sjk - Thanks, you forced me to figure it out since it worked for you. Delta has apparently wants everyone to get rid of their older PIN number password and setup a new more secure password. However, they still let you use the old PIN number but then you have to confirm your name thus the box pops up next the password field in your figure above. The solution is to update the password.

I might add that this is much easier said than done. They will not let you change the password using the older PIN number so you get in a loop when you go to the place to change passwords. You have to go back to the beginning login wherehas a place if you forgot your name or password and follow that daisy chain to get the password updated. I manually created a new login and it works fine now. Thanks.

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Wow, that's a strange way to move folks over to a new system. I do think there's a better way to handle that but I'm glad to hear you got it working now. Hopefully, others in your situation will find your post useful as well.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

I had searched for Delta on the forum and could not find the answer so maybe I will help someone. I have been on Delta forever so maybe it some legacy issue that modern day people do not experience. Fixing it was a pain.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

We appreciate your help figuring this out and sharing your findings. Thank you!

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

sjk - As a side issue related to Delta, I still have occasional issues with sites not filling in and submitting in Firefox. It seems to repeat and the site works the second time. Safari seems to work better. I am running all the latest beta versions (v12) for your info.

I have noticed since I fixed the Delta site login that it has happened there a couple of times. Seems all I have to do is launch FIrefox which goes to its home page then launch Delta. It takes a while for the Delta site to load many times which might be a cause but rarely does it fill and submit. If I close the Delta tab and relaunch Delta, it works fine. Of course, not every time can I repeat it so who knows what the cause is.

Have you had this problem?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Could you tell me just a bit more about how you are using the 1Password extension to access the Delta website? I've done some testing with the beta (4.2.0 b12) extension in Firefox, and it seems to be behaving nicely for me. Are you accessing your entry from 1Password Mini or using ⌘\ after the website has loaded?

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

I always use the FIrefox extension (b12) 1P Mini that I have in the upper right hand corner of the window. I select Delta from the menu (which is set to fill in name, password and submit) and the website loads in a new tab but ends up blank. I do not use any key commands but they work fine if the site is already up on the screen.

I just did it now while writing this and the Delta site tab came up, took 5-6 secs to load up, and did not fill in. If I close the tab and do it over right away, the site loads, fills and submits like it should. If I close up FIrefox and wait for a while, it usually will not open and fill the Delta site the first time. This problem happens as well on other sites but fixing the Delta issue made me experience it a few time.

I booted up Safari and accessed the Delta site the same way and it was much faster and it worked fine. I did it again after dinner and Safari did not open and fill the Delta this time so it might be an issue with both browsers at times.

Seems to me that the Delta site is pretty slow and it looks like it updates a lot of content many times when launched. Safari seems to work faster so it may be less susceptible to the problem. Does 1P Mini time out in some manner if a site takes a while to load. I have fast cable service so i doubt that is it.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Could you please give 4.2.0.b13 a try and let us know if that makes any difference? It has this ‎change:

[IMPROVED] Go & Fill is now more accommodating to slow websites.

Thanks!

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

sjk & Megan

Nice, b13 seems to have solved the problem although I am at work on my Mountain Lion Mac and will see how it works at home tonight on my Mavericks Mac.

I tried 3 site logins including Delta that seem to take longer to load and would not work well last night. They all took their time but the open, fill, and submit worked at the end of the process. (smiling face now)

Please let dteare know as I mentioned it to him yesterday also as part of trying to solve a different open and fill problem with OWA and had sent him a Firefox report.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

I'm so glad to hear that beta 13 seems to be filling better for you! If you notice anything weird on Mavericks, please let us know :) Dave will be pleased to know this as well, I'll be sure to let him know that his hard work is paying off.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Megan - seems to be working fine in mavericks as well.

• Jasper
    Options

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you on Mavericks as well, @doctormo! Let us know if you have any other problems. :)

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

Hello all,

Today I accessed the Delta site after a few days and it did not fill and submit. However, it seemed to take forever to complete the site loading which might be something that 1P Mini just can not deal with. I went to a couple of other slower sites that would sometimes not fill and they worked fine.

My conclusion is that Delta's site is a pain and they load up way too many ad's based on metrics which takes a long time to query servers, etc. I think the b13 fix probably got 99% of the problem sites but this one is tough. I have fast cable service so I am pretty sure it is not me having a slow connection that is causing it.

You may want to let Dave rest on this one for a while and fix the other issues first.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

The main delta.com page fully loads relatively quickly here in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. It's slowest in Firefox but not significantly. If you select Tools > Web Developer > Network (in Firefox) and load the page maybe you can spot where there's a bottleneck. There are similar tools in Safari's Web Inspector and Chrome's Developer Tools.

Thanks for the additional feedback on this.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

sjk - Thanks for the tip, I think it may have something to do with me having the history off (opens in Private Mode) in Firefox and Delta being Delta.

When I first open Firefox, the Network pane indicates 92 requests (5-6 sec) when accessing Delta whereas if I try it a second time, it is only 18 requests (2.1 sec). Maybe there are a bunch of new items to load after I close and open Firefox in the Private Mode? I am pretty sure that it was twice as long when the Delta site did not fill and login this morning so probably over 10 sec. Delta can be slow at times if there is a lot of traffic. I have run into that before when checking reservations, etc when the site has a lot of lag between steps.

There probably is no way for 1P to know when the site is done loading so it times out at some point which was adjusted in b13. Maybe Delta is just difficult?

I think one problem is that Delta make its main site load with all its junk before you can login. Lot of sites have a login page separate from their main site that loads much faster since there is minimal content on them. They should probably have better site designers.

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

ps: I just monitored Delta again and it took 15 sec to complete its site. Maybe it is time dependent where they update everything after 10 minutes?

• doctormo
    doctormo
    Community Member
    Options

pss: Just checked Delta tonight after being away for a week and it took forever to load up (15 sec±) 1P obviously timed out and would not fill. Worked fine the second time.

I am convinced it is a Delta site problem not an 1P problem now. Just too slow to be workable at times.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @doctormo,

Thanks for the followup about 1Password filling (and non-filling, as it may be) with the slow-loading Delta site. We have made extension changes to better handle sites like that, e.g.:

• [IMPROVED] Go & Fill is now more accommodating to slow websites.

And we're not done yet. :)

This discussion has been closed.