LOC cataloging in publication weirdness

Options
kongjie@mac.com
kongjie@mac.com
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

The Library of Congress Cataloging in Publication website requires me to change my password every 60 days.

The way it works is that after you log in, the system prompts you to input your current password, then input a new password (twice).

I have a log-in called "LoC Cataloging in Publication." When I'm on the log-in page, that's the item I select from 1Password in Safari's menu bar.

However--and this is the weird part--I now realize that if I use that 1Password Login to log in, it works. HOWEVER, if I go to the 1Password app item called "LoC Cataloging in Publication" and manually copy and input the password, the LOC says I'm using the wrong password.

So, in summary: I can log on to this site using 1Password in the browser bar; but if I try to log on by copying and pasting from the 1Password app, it doesn't work. I'm stumped.

Comments

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hi there,

That's certainly a bit strange, but I think I might know the cause. Could you please share the URL of the login page so I can check something?

• kongjie@mac.com
    kongjie@mac.com
    Community Member
    Options

I think it is https://ecips.loc.gov/

By the way, I figured out a workaround. I went to the change password page and used 1Password to fill in, but prior to that turned off "always submit." So I was able to have 1Password fill in the form automatically with whatever password it was using, then put in a new password in the appropriate fields.

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

I think I was able to find the login page. Is this it? https://ecips.loc.gov/pls/ecip/pubs_signon?system=pcn

The password input field on that page includes a maxlength attribute. Specifically maxlength="12". This will limit text entry into the field to 12 characters when you type your password in, or paste it in. The 1Password extension uses JavaScript to fill the field, which maxlength won't apply to. Are you by chance using a password longer than 12 characters?

That site is a bit strange since they have a maxlength value specified, but you're actually able to use a longer password to login. They only seem to add this 12 character limitation on the front end (to the HTML of the login page), while your password is saved correctly in the back end. I'm not sure why they would add this artificial limitation.

So unfortunately pasting/typing in a password over 12 characters on that site will not be possible, and you will need to fill it using 1Password. And I'm glad to hear that you were able to get that working. Other options would include changing your password to be 12 characters, or contacting the website administrators and mentioning this issue to them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kongjie@mac.com
    kongjie@mac.com
    Community Member
    Options

JasperP,

Thanks for looking into this, if for no other reason than to confirm I'm not losing my marbles.

I don't think that's the right URL. It's this https://ecips.loc.gov/pls/ecip/pubs_signon?system=cip

Here are the requirements for CIP passwords:

• Must be at least eight characters in length.
    • Must contain at least one uppercase letter, one lowercase letter, and one number.
    • Must not contain consecutive repeated characters.
    • Must be changed every 60 days.
    • Can not be changed more than once per day.
    • Can not be changed to any of the 11 most recently used passwords.

My password is 12 characters long. It looks like the maxlength attribute for this entry field is 12 as well.

• Jasper
    edited March 2014
    Options

You're welcome. Both those URLs are a very similar login page, so the same still applies.

But a password that is exactly 12 characters should be working for you. Is your password over 12 characters?

• kongjie@mac.com
    kongjie@mac.com
    Community Member
    Options

Nope. Exactly 12 characters.

• Jasper
    Options

Hmm... that's very strange then. I'm not quite sure what the issue would be here. But as long as you're able to fill with the extension now, it should be fine. Please let us know if you run into any other issues with this site.

This discussion has been closed.