Two stage login for a small credit union

Options
masons
masons
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

Hello,

I am trying to setup a two stage login process that will work for this site - https://www.sascu.com/Personal/OnlineBanking/ This URL will take you to the first page of a two stage process. I have successfully created a login for the second page, but it's this first one that I can't make work.

I thought I would try using an identity to select the correct drop down choice (I need the uptown branch). So I grabbed the form field names from the page's HTML source, and added that as a field name in the identity and then entered the correct value for the drop down. However, when I selected this identity, the drop down didn't populate. I think this should work, so I assume I'm doing something wrong. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

I also have a feature request related to this question. I read in another forum post that it is too complicated for AgileBits to script a two stage login in a single 1Password login item (fair enough), so I won't ask that again, but perhaps there is another way of approaching this?

The current suggestion is to create two separate 1Password logins and then to run them one after another. How about creating a new meta item called a "Chain". With the "Chain" item, you could create a sequence of regular items that would fire one after the other. So, for my two stage login example, I would create a new chain with the following two items in it:

1 - a functioning identity that populates the drop downs, fills in my account number and submits the page.
2 - a login that fills in my password and submits the page.

I can see this being a useful tool for examples like mine above, but perhaps also multi-page shopping carts and other similar multi-page forms. I suppose it could also get really messy, so I'll understand if you don't implement something like this.

Thanks.

--
Mason

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @masons,

Thanks so much for including the URL in your original post. I was able to create a Login for the first page using these steps:

• Edit the login that you currently have for this website by appending an "Old" to the title - just so you can tell them apart.
    • Visit the site and fill in the fields you want filled, including selecting the branch name from the dropdown menu. Do NOT click the login button.
    • Click the 1Password extension, and unlock it if necessary.
    • Click the gear icon (or vault icon if multiple vaults are enabled) in the upper right corner.
    • Select Save new login.
    • Give the entry a unique and identifiable title.
    • Click Save.
    • Revisit the site and see if 1Password fills in the site correctly.

With respect to your feature request, I'd like to draw your attention to our post about 1Password and Bank of America. This post details the steps to create a single working Login for a multiple-page-login banking website. Often 1Password is able to handle pages like this with a single Login, although it does depend on the design of the website. Unfortunately, I'm not able to test much further than the first page of the site in question here because I don't have an actual account, but I suggest you take a read-through the instructions for Bank of America and see if they work for your bank as well.

Let me know how this new Login works for you :)

• larrysev
    larrysev
    Community Member
    Options

Lovely to see a quick response here, guess you are working hard.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @larrysev,

Thanks for noticing. :) We do our best to ensure that problems are resolved as quickly as possible - your data is important!

• larrysev
    larrysev
    Community Member
    Options

Megan: Thanks for your comment on two step log ons. Mine is with Vanguard and isn't working automatically yet but there seems to be a work around that works.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're welcome, @larrysev, on @Megan's behalf. :)

If you still having issues specifically with Vanguard there's a relatively recent discussion of them: here.

• masons
    masons
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Megan,

Sorry I didn't see and reply to you earlier, I mistakenly assumed the forum software would send me an email notification if there were replies to this thread.

As for your suggestion, it didn't solve my issue. I followed your directions to the letter, but when I use 1Password to submit the form, it still doesn't select the correct drop down option. I'm not sure what might be different about this drop down compared to other sites 1Password supports.

However, your link to the BofA thread was a big help in reducing the number of clicks to get logged into my credit union site. That ⌘\ shortcut makes a big difference!

--
    Mason

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @masons,

I'm sorry that you've been waiting for a response! You can change your forum notifications here: http://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/edit so that you are notified when there is a new post in topics you are interested in.

As to your issue, I'm sorry that my steps didn't work for you, but I'm so glad that the Bank of America link helped to make things a bit more efficient for you.

I'm curious though, as to why this Login is not behaving for you. Could you take a peek inside the webform details and tell me what fields you see stored there? I'm including an image of my fake Login's details below: 'branch 002' changes the dropdown menu to 'Sicamous'.

• masons
    masons
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hmmm... I'm not getting the branch field in the web form details. I only see the acctnum field. I tried this first in Chrome and then when it didn't work, I tried Safari and then "Reset" Safari (clearing all cache and cookies) and tried again and got the same result.

I don't know what I'm doing differently than you, but I cannot get that branch field to show up in my web form details.

Do I have to furrow my brow more or bite my tongue as I follow your instructions? ;)

--
    Mason

PS - thanks for the tip on the forum settings, I've updated my notification prefs now.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mason ( @masons ),

It's still puzzling why saving a new Login manually on that page isn't including the branch field for web form details. Which versions of 1Password and its browser extensions (for Chrome and Safari) are you running?

Here are four sample Login items for the different branches on the https://www.sascu.com/Personal/OnlineBanking/ page:

SASCU.1pif

Feel free to download/import/test those, then change the username field to your own Member Number if it works correctly in any you'd like to use.

I hope that helps, without any brow furrowing or tongue biting. :)

• larrysev
    larrysev
    Community Member
    Options

Issue resolved - Thanks

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent, @larrysev. Thanks for the followup! :)

• masons
    masons
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @sjk,

I'm running the following software versions:
    1Password = 4.1.2 (412009),
    Chrome Plugin = 4.1.1.90,
    Safari Plugin = 4.1.0,
    OSX = 10.9.2,
    Chrome = 33.0.1750.149,
    Safari = 7.0.2 (9537.74.9).

I imported your .1pif file, update my username and password for the appropriate branch, tested and... it works!

Still totally at a loss why you and Megan seem to be able to do this while I can't. I suppose it's possible this is a case of PEBKAC, but I don't see how it can be. Your instructions are very clear and easy to follow.

I'm sure I'll encounter other sites with a similar requirement for selecting from a drop down, so I would very much like to figure out why I can't seem to make this work.

--
    Mason

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Mason, ( @masons ),

I'm glad you got that to work!

Thanks for the version information, which helped eliminate this being a case of PEBKAC. :)

Turns out it's a bug in the 4.1.0 extension, fixed in the 4.2.0 beta extension. If you want to try the beta, visit the 1Password Extension page, click the Enable betas link, then the big green Install button. In Chrome, make sure the 4.1.1.90 extension is disabled before or after doing that.

Cheers!

• masons
    masons
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent! That solved it!

Thanks @sjk

• masons
    masons
    Community Member
    Options

@Megan and @sjk, I'd also like to say that the quality of your support is superb! At a previous job, one of my many responsibilities, as a manager, was to supervise a small tech support department for an ISP. I know how hard it can be to provide high quality, personalized technical support, day in and day out. Thanks again!

--
    Mason

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's great to hear the beta solved it, Mason. Thanks for letting us know. And we all really appreciate your kind words for our support! :)

This discussion has been closed.