Sync settings lost on upgrade to b11

hawk7000
hawk7000
Community Member

It's not a big deal but I just want to check if it was as intended that (dropbox) sync settings were lost when upgrading from b10 to b11.

I mostly just wanted to point out that I noticed this happening, in case that is something that was not expected to happen. (Release notes did not mention it, for one thing.)

Comments

• tezgno
    tezgno
    Community Member

I had the same thing happen to me. I also noticed that the name changed from Drop box Sync to Keychain Sync so it may have to so with the added folder sync option.

• Thanks for pointing this out, I'll pass on these details to our developers. Dropbox sync has been changed to Keychain sync as part of the implementation for folder sync ( introduced in beta 10).

• Guido Kollerie
    Guido Kollerie
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Dropbox sync has been changed to Keychain sync

Not sure what you're saying here. What do you mean by changed? Has it simply be renamed? Or is syncing as a method changed entirely from 'syncing via Dropbox' to 'syncing via Keychain' whatever that means in terms of Android?

• Guido Kollerie
    Guido Kollerie
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Oh, this is bad. I figured I'll just enable Keychain syncing; a confusing name if I may say so as Keychain reminds me of OS X' Keychain, something Android doesn't have, so what am I syncing with? Is it still Dropbox? If so why is Dropbox as a name removed from the syncing method that utilizes Dropbox? Anyway, first I looked up my Dropbox password in 1Password B11 and copied it. Enabled Keychain syncing, tried to paste my password, and noticed it does not allow me to paste my password. Why?

What's going on with syncing in general? The upgrade from 1Password 4.1.x to 4.2 on the desktop broke syncing for me. Now the Android 1Password beta breaks syncing in addition to renaming Dropbox syncing to something that I don't associate with Dropbox at all. There has to be a smoother way.

• Hey Guido! I'm sorry for the confusion. The setting was just renamed, there was no change to the sync mechanism itself. If you already set up 1Password with Dropbox, your vault will still sync to Dropbox .

I noticed the text for this toggle is inconsistent and depends on how you set up sync. If you set up the beta as a new user and then enable sync with Dropbox, the toggle says 'Keychain Sync'. If you set up the beta as an existing user using Dropbox, the toggle is label as 'Dropbox Sync'. If you set up as an existing user using local folder sync, it's labeled as 'Local Keychain Sync'. This is all very confusing, and I'll pass on this concern to our developers. Please expect a fix in an upcoming beta update.

I am not sure why you're unable to paste in your Dropbox password. Do you have the official Dropbox app installed on your device? I just tested it on my Nexus 5 with and without the Dropbox app installed, and both ways seem to be working fine.

The upgrade to 4.2 on your Mac should not break sync, it now has the ability to detect if there is a problem with your sync configuration in the first place. If there is, you will get a notification asking you to fix it.

If your devices are not syncing properly, please let me know and I would be happy to look into it.

• EnerJi
    EnerJi
    Community Member

I'm optimistic that the change to a more generic "Keychain" sync implies that we will have more options than DropBox very soon... I sincerely hope those same options will also be coming simultaneously to the Mac and even the iOS versions as well...

• What sync methods are you looking to have? Let me know, I'll be happy to add your vote for those requests. :) Our developers go through them quite frequently.

This discussion has been closed.