2 Mac's, 2 iPad's, 2 iPhones

tdjgordon007
tdjgordon007
Community Member

Can two macs, 2 iPads and 2 iPhones share the same 1password database? My wife and I each have a Mac, an iPad and an iPhone (all running the same version of IOS 7.1, and Mac 10.9.2). We have different iCloud Apple ID's and DropBox accounts. We share a lot of common information (bank accounts, credit cards, some web sites, etc.) and would like to have one common 1password database that could be kept up-to-date all the time with changes, additions and deletions. How do we do that?

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tdjgordon‌007,

There is no limit to how many computers and devices can share a common database, so you and your wife will be fine with all of your Macs and iDevices. Now, to sync with iCloud, you would need to use the same AppleID, but you can share a folder across your Dropbox accounts and store the keychain file in there.

Now, in order to give you some more detailed instructions on how to make this happen, I'll need some more information from you:

• What version of 1Password do you currently have installed on all your computers and devices?
    • Where is your data currently stored? Is it complete on one of the computers, or do we need to do some combining of separate databases first?

The more information we have here, the more easily we'll be able to get you sorted out. :)

• tdjgordon007
    tdjgordon007
    Community Member

Hi Megan, thanks for helping! On our Mac's we have version 4.1.2, on the iPad's and iPhone's we have version 4.3.2. The most up-to-date version and complete database is stored in my iCloud and DropBox accounts. My DropBox is a little goofy - it shows a 1Password folder (updated to today) and a "loose" 1Password.agilekeychain document below it (again updated to today). Inside of the 1Password folder is another 1Password.agilekeychain document which is dated back in December of 2013 (?). My wife and I do share a DropBox folder. We both have the most updated IOS and Mac OS.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tdjgordon007‌,

I think we should be able to get this sorted out fairly simply by resetting sync, but before I give you the detailed instructions, I just need to confirm: is your entire password database on your Mac? Or do we have to combine databases from different devices?

The reason that I ask is that the simplest way to sort this out is to disable sync everywhere, remove the keychains from Dropbox and then re-enable. We'll have to do things a bit differently if there are different databases to be combined. :)

• tdjgordon007
    tdjgordon007
    Community Member

As far as I can tell my password database on my Mac and iPad, iPhone are all in sync (same number of records, changes, etc.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tdjgordon007‌,

Thanks for confirming that for me! First of all, this will reset sync on your computer to ensure that those extra 1Password.agilekeychains are moved out of the way:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password 4 for iOS, tap Settings > Sync, and toggle Dropbox to OFF.

• On your Mac, open 1Password 4 for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and click Change syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Mac and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On your Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your shared Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.agilekeychain file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync.

Now that your Dropbox folder is cleaned up with the correct 1Password.agilekeychain, we can make sure that your wife's devices are pointing at that same 1Password.agilekeychain:

• Ensure that the Dropbox app is installed and running on her iOS devices, and that she is logged in to the shared account
    • Tap & hold on the 1Password icon on the home screen. It will begin to move slightly, and an x will appear on the corner.
    • Tap the x on 1Password, and confirm the deletion.
    • Press the Home button to stop the other apps on your screen from moving.
    • Delete the Data on iCloud (if it exists): http://learn.agilebits.com/1Password4/iOS/Tutorials/ios-reset-data.html
    • Restart her iOS device
    • Now, visit the App Store on your device, and tap the Purchased section (on iPhone, Purchased is nested within Updates).
    • Find 1Password in your purchase history and tap the cloud icon to re-download, free of charge.

• When you open 1Password 4 for the first time, select "I've Used 1Password Before" and sync via Dropbox

On your wife's Mac:

• Ensure that Dropbox is installed and running and signed in with the correct account
    • Launch 1Password 4.
    • If presented with the option, choose the "I've used 1Password before" > "This Mac" option and select the 1Password.agilekeychain data file you have been using.
    • If you are presented instead with a field to enter your master password, click the little disclosure triangle and ensure that it is using the correct data file.
    • Try entering your master password and see if that works.

Please let me know how this works! If you run into any snags, we'll do some further investigating.

This discussion has been closed.