4.2 Update Stops Syncing & Sync Options Are Disabled [Unlock 1Password to enable Sync options]

Options
zeebadeeba
zeebadeeba
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

This morning I updated 1P and after the installation I got notification that I am having sync issues. I clicked button "fix" and noticed that option window for syncing has everything greyed out:

Greyed out Sync options

Now my 1P does not sync from this computer. It is pretty important feature so I'm considering rolling back to previous version from backup but if the fix is on the way I'll wait.

Comments

• johnswhitehead
    johnswhitehead
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. I got a notification after the update to the effect that I had to update my sync preferences and clicking on the Fix button took me to them. However, all options were greyed out. Please fix asap as I need to sync.

• sgabello
    sgabello
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem here. Dropbox stopped working and all syncing options are greyed out.

• zeebadeeba
    zeebadeeba
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Did anyone tried to roll back to older version?

P.S.: I've already contacted them via email and twitter, no response but I bet they're working on it. Seems like there are more cases of that problem.

• janherdsman
    janherdsman
    Community Member
    Options

Same problem....following

• Julka
    Julka
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

I've got the same issue...

Closing the 1Password app and then starting it back again enabled buttons of Sync tab for me, it did lose the path to vault file however, so I had to select it again. But at least I was able to fix it. Maybe it will work for you too.

• rjung
    rjung
    Community Member
    Options

Ditto. Upgraded my two Macs and now both will have stopped syncing. On both the prefs windows have the sync options greyed out.

• zeebadeeba
    zeebadeeba
    Community Member
    Options

@Julka‌ Did you quit 1P Mini as well to achieve that behaviour? I restarted my Mac but I still have the options greyed out.

• Julka
    Julka
    Community Member
    Options

Nope, just the app, and it did work for me... Dunno, maybe it wasn't related directly, but I don't know what did the trick otherwise.

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member
    Options

Same here. I did a restart of the app and everything still greyed out.

• jefferis
    jefferis
    Community Member
    Options

Also turned off mini and did a restart. No joy. This disability is a serious issue. Same on desktop and laptop.

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the reports everyone. I'm sorry for the trouble. Let me explain what is happening and why. Then we can jump into how to fix it :)

First things first: 1Password did not report syncing errors prior to version 4.2. We saw many cases where something changed and broke the sync configuration (moved files, new Agile Keychain folders, etc) and since there was no alert, users could go weeks or months without ever noticing. Starting in version 4.2 we show a notification if we're unable to sync.

Clicking Fix should take you to the Sync Preferences so you can resolve whatever the sync issue is. The trick is we only allow sync options to be changed when 1Password is unlocked. If you are seeing all the sync options greyed out, 1Password is most likely locked. Once you unlock 1Password you should be able to enable syncing.

Please give that a try and let us know how it turns out. And thanks again for all the feedback everyone! Given the amount of confusion those disabled sync options caused we will be adding some text to the sync window explaining that 1Password is locked and must be unlocked to continue.

• dteare
    Options

@londan: Your issue is different than the others. I will be moving your post to a new thread and replying there shortly.

• aljmc
    aljmc
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info, much clearer now, followed your advice, now syncing is back to normal. It's a bother though that the update broke the long existing syncing through Dropbox and that I needed to patch it up again.

• dteare
    Options

Great! I'm happy to hear that helped, @aljmc‌.

I'm not sure why this message would have ever appeared if your syncing was working perfectly. When was the last time you recall a change on your Mac appearing on your other devices? If you're positive sync has been working perfectly, could you send me a log file so I can see why this happened to you?

The easiest way to send the logs is to download the 1Password Troubleshooting tool and send us a Diagnostics Report. Here is the download link:

http://cdn.agilebits.com/dist/1P/mac/util/1Password4Troubleshooting.zip

Once the download finishes, open 1Password4Troubleshooting.app from your downloads folder and on the first page you will see a Create Report button. Click that button and wait 20-30 seconds while it creates a new report. Once the report is created the troubleshooting report icon will appear. Please drag and drop that icon into a reply to this email. Include a link to this forum thread as well please.

Once we get the report we'll take a look and see if there are any clues as to why this happened, assuming it shouldn't have :)

Thanks!

• umijin
    umijin
    Community Member
    Options

I have a similar issue. 1PW forgot my synching method upon updating to 4.2 and then again to 4.21 this morning. Happened on all my Macs I use it with. Yeah, I figured out unlocking 1PW would allow me to select the method. However, I'm worried it will forget again for every time I update all of the macs on my family license.

• dteare
    Options

Thanks for the report @umijin! It does indeed sound very odd that you were asked twice in such quick succession. Can you please send us a Diagnostics Report so I can see what happened? You can see the instructions in my previous post above.

Thanks!

• grgz
    grgz
    Community Member
    Options

For the record, I'm sure all my vaults were syncing changes and new passwords just fine before the 4.2 update. The 4.2 update lost sync with both my primary icloud vault and my dropbox work vault on my home imac, and also on the single dropbox vault on my office imac. I was able to fix the syncing once I realized I had to unlock 1p first. It's not just a notification issue.

On the plus side, I just upgraded to 4.2.1 at home without losing sync again.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grgz,

It sounds like you had the same issue as in some of the other reports here, where syncing had apparently been working fine before the 4.2 update disrupted it. Could you also send us a Diagnostics Report (see Dave's early reply for instructions) so we take a closer look at what happened? Thanks in advance!

• cozmot
    cozmot
    Community Member
    Options

There is definitely a serious bug here. The update kills the sync. Worse, when I told 1P to sync with Dropbox again (which was working perfectly fine before the update), it kept writing strange files to Dropbox. I stopped it after it created several dozens of these files. I tried syncing on my iPhone and iPad, and it just kept reporting errors. My solution was to switch synching to iCloud. Syncing works fine now on my Mac and iOS devices. This is not a minor bug. You guys really should test your updates better than this. You cost your customers a lot of unnecessary time and frustration.

• dteare
    Options

I'm sorry for the trouble @cozmot. I'm not sure why this is happening to you but would be happy to find out. Could you send me a Diagnostics Report (as described in previous posts) so I can take a look?

As for testing, one can never have enough it appears, especially on Desktops where the number of configurations are endless. We kept this version in beta testing for over a month and have several thousand beta testers so I'm surprised this is an issue. At this point it is just speculation what the issue is so I'd love to see those log files and see what's actually happening.

• cozmot
    cozmot
    Community Member
    Options

Dave, done. I'd also like to thank you for the quick response. That you actually read your blogs and help people through their problems is a testament to the quality of your company. How nice it would be if all companies did this, e.g., Apple.

• ag1pwun
    ag1pwun
    Community Member
    Options

I also experienced the sync problem. Was syncing to local folder. Sync was turned off after the 4.2 update. Was able to restore the settings and it's working okay now.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ag1pwun,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to get things sorted out, although I do apologize it was a bit of a process for you. Please do let us know if you run into any further snags.

• raye
    raye
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1P 4.2.1 installed (not AppleStore version) and everytime I restart the OS (10.8.5) the iCloud sync settings are gone. I've recently send a Diagnostic Report per email. I hope you can sort it out.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for emailing the report, @raye. We've received it okay and will follow up more about the problem and its resolution as soon as possible.

• dteare
    Options

Thank you very much for the Diagnostics Report @raye. I believe the new 4.2.2 release will solve your iCloud issue. I say "believe" as I was unable to recreate the issue on my machine so I cannot be 100% certain.

Please upgrade to 4.2.2 and let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!

• raye
    raye
    Community Member
    Options

Sorry for not giving feedback for a long time. But no news are often good news.
    Since the upgrade to 4.2.2 the problem seems to be solved. iCloud sync settings are not getting lost on my machine.
    Thank your very much for your good and fast support and fix.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're most welcome, @raye, on Dave's behalf. Thanks for dropping by again to share your good news with iCloud syncing and 1Password 4.2.2. :)

This discussion has been closed.