Failed to open 1Password database after upgrading to 4.2

Comments

• londan
    londan
    Community Member

Major problems with 1Password 4.2 update. Installed and also got Sync issues notification. Clicked Fix button which launched 1Password but then got "Failed to open 1Password database" error.

Still able to connect to my database via Safari, Firefox and Chrome plugins just not the new 4.2 app. Have run 1Password4Troubleshooting app and emailed you details but this is a NIGHTMARE as 1Password keeps trying to launch in a continual loop.

• Thanks for the report @londan‌; I'm sorry you're experiencing this issue.

At first glance it looks like you are sharing your 1Password database between two processes. This can happen if you are sharing your home folder over a network, running two instances of 1Password mini, or opening the OnePassword.sqlite file open in another app.

Are you using a shared network home folder? If so, this is an unsupported configuration at the moment and we're looking into how to make this possible in future versions.

In any event, could you please open the Terminal application and run this command:

`lsof | grep OnePassword.sqlite`

Please copy the output here so we can see which processes are accessing this file. Then we can dig deeper and see what's going on.

Thanks!

• londan
    londan
    Community Member
    edited March 2014

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at home today with just me on my home network. No other users except iPhone and iPad. Used to sync with iOS app but haven't been able to make that work since upgrading Mac to 1Password 4. Still waiting on Shared Vaults support to upgrade iOS apps.

Database is stored in Dropbox with 2x shared vaults in subfolders. Everything accessible from browsers just not the app itself. Worked a treat until 4.2 update yesterday. Anyway, here's the grep results:

2BUA8C4S2 642 username 5u REG 1,3 3186688 159239441 /Users/username/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

2BUA8C4S2 642 username 6u REG 1,3 20632 159257001 /Users/username/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite-wal

2BUA8C4S2 1566 username 6u REG 1,3 3186688 159239441 /Users/username/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Data/OnePassword.sqlite

Hoping you can find a fix. Also, you really should rewrite whatever bit of the code is launching the app in a continual loop when I can't connect. Clicking the Quit button should stop the process not just wait 2 seconds and then launch again and again and... rather frustrating that I can't get the loop to stop.

Cheers, Dan

• Thank you for the update Dan. The Terminal output is very useful.

I can see from the logs that two instances of 1Password mini are accessing your OnePassword.sqlite file. I suspect one is the old version and the other is the newly downloaded one. Normally the old version should terminate automatically and I'd like to investigate why this happened to you.

Before doing anything, could you please send in another Diagnostics Report from the 1Password 4 Troubleshooting Utility? I know you did this already but I'd like one more copy just to be sure I get all the logs.

Once you send in the report, you can then reboot your Mac to force the old mini to disconnect. That should solve the issue entirely for now, at least until the next update.

Please let us know how it turns out.

• Deekay
    Deekay
    Community Member

Hi,

I updated to the latest version. It broke everything. Now I constantly get a popup for 1Password mini that I have never enabled. Help!

1Password mini failed to open database because of the following problem: 'database is locked'.

Additional information:
    2014-03-12 22:34:00 +0000
    Error Domain=SQLite Code=5 "database is locked" UserInfo=0x7fd0e9e0e340 {SQLiteExtenderError=5, NSLocalizedDescription=database is locked}

• Jasper
    edited March 2014

Hi @Deekay‌,

I've merged your post with a related discussion.

See here for the solution:

"Failed to open 1Password database" error after updating

This discussion has been closed.