two issues with WiFi sync testing

Options
bmike
bmike
Community Member
  1. Shared secret for WiFi paired computer is not cleared when choosing Settings -> Advances -> Erase Data (if not all data is actually erased, please list what isn't erased and how to really erase all data before proceeding.) I would expect all settings and pairings and secrets and data to get wiped from that control based on the wording.

2. I was getting intermittent errors when attempting to pair. My iPhone was connected to the Time Capsule (main base station) and my Mac was connected to an AirPort express that wirelessly extends the main network. Both devices were connected over 5 GHz with excellent coverage (and the base stations themselves have excellent coverage between themselves).

I was seeing repeated NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=61 errors until I rebooted the express which put both the Mac and the iPhone on the same base station. The network is pretty solid here, low interference - no ping loss ever internally - high throughput when tested, so I'm pretty confident we don't have a problem network here.

Anyhow - setting up WiFi sync seems to work 100% of the time on the same base station and failed every time I tried it when connecting

iPhone drew IP 172.16.16.32 from the DHCP on the Time Capsule and was connected to that base station when pairing failed
Mac drew IP 172.16.16.29 from the DHCP on the Time Capsule but was connected to the express at the time of the failed pairing

This isn't 100% repeatable, but I wonder if a retry in the network code would make this more bombproof for setting up on larger networks. I would guess most people will be connected to the same base station when pairing, though.

Comments

• bmike
    bmike
    Community Member
    Options

Files of the network conditions and error message attached:

• Nik
    Nik
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for reporting your findings! I'll share this thread with the team so we can hear from someone with better knowledge of networking than I. That's a great question about the Wi-Fi sync secret. If the secret is part of the data, then this is a bug; if it's part of the application settings, then it makes sense for it to remain. The same way if you delete 1Password's data folder, you'll delete its data, but the application settings remain in the .plist in ~/Library/Preferences. I'll have to ask our devs which it is, and one of us will update this thread.

This discussion has been closed.