Feature Request: Enter password into Terminal.app

Options
JetForMe
JetForMe
Community Member

I use Terminal.app a lot, often when connected to remote servers. On those, I use sudo, and it often asks me for my password. Since my passwords are cryptic, I store them in 1P and painstakingly get it out of there each time.

It would be awesome if I could type Command-\ and have 1Password automagically enter the password for me. I think there's often enough information to be gleaned from the window for it to do so (e.g. the user and hostname).

What would it take to get that enhancement into 1P? Is it possible for me to write something that would do that for me (is there any way for an external app to communicate with 1P to get out passwords)?

Thanks!

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JetForMe,

Thanks so much for the feature request! We'd love for 1Password to be able to fill auto-magically in apps other than the browser, but that's just not something that's possible right now.

To make your filling life easier, we do have some handy features in the 1Password Mini:

• Use the Anchor feature when viewing an item's details to pin the details to your screen so you can easily copy and paste.
    • If you're more of a keyboard fan, use ⌘⌥\ to open the 1Password Mini, navigate to the Login and highlight the password. Just hit Enter to copy the password to your clipboard for easy filling.

I know it's not quite as perfect as using ⌘\ to fill immediately, but it should tide you over while our developers look for ways to make 1Password even more fill-friendly. :)

• JetForMe
    JetForMe
    Community Member
    edited March 2014
    Options

Here's what I propose: respond to an AppleEvent (containing username and account search string) that prompts the user (either for their password or to choose from available passwords), and when they confirm, send an apple event back to the original sender with the requested information. This should be secure, and awesome.

I've successfully written an AppleScript that can extract the user name and part of the hostname from the window, now I just need a dictionary of passwords. I'd like to use 1Password, but for my purposes, I'll probably just hard-code in the set I need.

• Jasper
    Options

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass it along to the developers.

This discussion has been closed.