How to delete a folder without deleting the items in it.

Options
stvbaker
stvbaker
Community Member

I have 124 passwords in one of my folders in 1PW for the Mac. I want to delete the folder but not delete the logins contained in that folder to the Trash. It will be a major, major pain to have to recover them from the Trash one by one.

Any advice on how to get the logins out of a folder without having to trash the folder first?

Is it actually required that I toss all of them into the trash just to get rid of a folder? What if I just want to keep the folder and move one of the logins out of it back to unassigned? Can I do that? Simple drag-and-drop doesn't work to unassign a login in a folder.

By the way, there appears to be absolutely nothing in the Manual page that gives any information on folders at all. I'd like to suggest that that oversight be remedied.

Steve

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stvbaker,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with Folders in 1Password right now. Our developers are looking for ways to improve the folder workflow in the future, but for now, if you would like to remove a folder without deleting the items inside it, please try this:

• Select all the items in the folder
    • Right-click
    • Select 'Remove from folder'
    • Delete the folder at will.

:) I'll also be sure to mention to our document team that you'd love to see some support articles written about folders.

• stvbaker
    stvbaker
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Megan. That did the trick. I don't generally tend to look in contextual menus, so I missed that.

This thread is closed.

Steve

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Steve ( @stvbaker ),

Thanks for letting me know that you're all sorted out! I will close this thread now, but feel free to open another if you have any more questions or concerns :)

This discussion has been closed.