Interesting conflict - different password strengths for identical password

Options
CollinBl
CollinBl
Community Member
edited March 2014 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Was digging out and dumping some old passwords and noticed this dichotomy - see pic.

Same password - 2 different strengths

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CollinBl,

The password strength that's displayed is whatever it was calculated to be when the password for the item was last modified. In your image example, the older item has a password strength that 1Password considered higher at the time it was calculated. If you make a duplicate of that item and give it the same password, the strength will be recalculated and possible match what it is for the newer item. It may be necessary to save a temporary password, then revert to and save the original password to force that recalculation.

Calculating password strength is a relatively expensive operation, although recalculating it for older items is something we'd like to add.

By the way, which version of 1Password are you running? You've posted in the 1Password 4 for Mac forum but your image is from 1Password 3. :)

• CollinBl
    CollinBl
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, guilty - did not look around enuff when i joined the discussions, to find the correct thread.
    3.9 has always done well for me so have not bothered to upgrade. Even holding off on 10.9 so perhaps a major upheaval in the future and upgrade everything. Mod can always put this in the right listing i guess.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @CollinBl,

I'm glad to hear that 3.9 is still working well for you! There's certainly no need to upgrade if you're satisfied with the current version. :)

I hope that @sjk's post helped, but we're here if you have any further questions.

This discussion has been closed.