Vaults… Why do I now have TWO?

Options
three-cushion
three-cushion
Community Member
edited March 2014 in Mac

After 4.2.1 and now 4.2.2 I have TWO vaults.
They are 'Primary Vault' and 1Password Vault' These are seen in a pulldown labelled "Switch to vault"

1) Where are they in OS10.8.5 (path-wise)?
2) Why did the last 2 updates start all this crazy multi-Vault business?
3) Do I now have duplicate info in the vaults?
4) 1PW used to state: 'Enable 1Password '… now it says 'Open primary vault'

Boy this is mighty confusing..

Jim B

Comments

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi three-cushion‌,

I'm sorry that you've mysteriously ended up with multiple vaults in your 1Password database. I've never heard of them being created automatically. Are you certain you didn't manually create a new one, maybe while discovering new features in 1Password 4? :)

The Multiple Vaults guide has documentation about them.

1) Where are they in OS10.8.5 (path-wise)?

They're contained in the 1Password 4 SQLite database.

2) Why did the last 2 updates start all this crazy multi-Vault business?

Reenabling syncing after seeing the new Syncing Disabled Notification may cause confusion if not realizing that each vault has its own sync settings.

3) Do I now have duplicate info in the vaults?

I have no way of knowing since I can't see your vault content. :)

Depending on how many items exist in each vault, it might be easy enough to switch between vault and look for items that exist in more than one.

4) 1PW used to state: 'Enable 1Password '… now it says 'Open primary vault'

When multiple vaults exist, the unlocking text includes the vault name to identity it since each vault can be unlocked separately, e.g.:

I hope that information is helpful. If you need other help getting this sorted out please let us know. Thanks!

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

Hi: I Definitely did NOT create a new vault recently…… Somewhere in the fuzzy memory of upgarding to 4.2.1 & 4.2.2 i do remember questions being asked of which I had no idea why the question was there…

So, to find out if the TWO vaults I have are NOT duplicates, you have no tool that can tell me if I even NEED the "old" vault that is called"1Password" .(the new one is called "Primary")….. how it got THAT name beats me…….

Now the vault that I guess I am using IS to remain "Primary" b/c what reason would I want to use the old "Password" vault???

Boy … what happened to a simple easy to use system… Who in the WORLD would EVER want separate vaults anyway? I can't think of a single reason for my single user usage….… JIm B

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jim,

It is peculiar that you somehow ended up with a new vault during updates without explicitly requesting to create it.

The Primary vault is required and can't be deleted. If you'd like to remove the other vault and first need to move any items back to the Primary vault we can help you with that.

The Multiple Vaults guide referred to in my first reply mentions a few possible uses for them. They're fully optional, even though you did get an extra one accidentally. :)

So we can take a closer look for the cause of your new vault creation please send us a Diagnostics Report from your Mac, along with a link to this topic, to support+forum@agilebits.com. A brief comment here mentioning that you've sent the report would also be helpful. Thanks in advance!

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

I sent in a diag report as requested…
    Thanks… I hope I did not foul things up somehow….
    Jim B…

• Jasper
    Options

Hi Jim,

We've received your email, but it appears that you sent a 1Password 3 diagnostics report rather than a version 4 one.

Please try sending us another report following these instructions.

Thanks in advance! :)

• three-cushion
    three-cushion
    Community Member
    Options

How dumb of me! OK I now have the 1PW 4 troubleshooting app. I just sent you a new Diag report.
    Jim B

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Jim,

Thanks for sending the new Diagnostics Report for 1Password 4. We've received it okay and someone from the support team will be in touch with you soon. We'll follow-up directly in email to ensure that things don't get muddled up between here and there. :)

This discussion has been closed.