1Password Safari extension use without JavaScript

Options
Intensity
Intensity
Community Member
edited April 2014 in Mac

Hi,

With 1Password 3, I was able to use the Safari 1Password extension while I had JavaScript disabled. I disable JavaScript for security and resource use reasons. I'm wondering if it may be technically feasible to let 1Password 4 work with Safari 6.1.2 while JavaScript is disabled, or if the architectural changes since 1Password 3 are such that this would not be easy to do. I don't mind reduced 1Password functionality while JavaScript is disabled, but I'd like to be able to call up a previously saved login and password, using Command-\.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Intensity,

Unfortunately, Javascript is a requirement for the current version of the extension. In the days prior to 1Password 3.8, we used an InputManager for the extension's filling capabilities, but those were outlawed in Safari 5.1. Since then, we've been using Javascript for the extension, so you will need to enable Javascript for 1Password to work its filling magic.

I'm sorry that I don't have a better answer for you here. Please do let us know if you have any further questions!

• Intensity
    Intensity
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the information. I'm confused since I am pretty sure that I was able to use a subset of 1Password functionality even when I had a later version of Safari. I'll need to check that next time I start that instance.

But what about the potential of not using JavaScript? Is it in principle possible for the extension not to use JavaScript? A user may disable JavaScript for security or efficiency reasons. It's possible that Safari extensions may offer the flexibility potentially to fill out a form. This may also give 1Password more control, since other competing JavaScript on the page may attempt to disable that. Also, the presence of competing JavaScript code might introduce complexity or cause a security issue if the JavaScript code interacts. I'm wondering what is potentially possible with respect to enabling 1Password functionality without JavaScript - what other options there may be.

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member
    Options

But what about the potential of not using JavaScript? Is it in principle possible for the extension not to use JavaScript?

Safari extensions are written in HTML, CSS, and Javascript. There's no way for them to run code without Javascript. https://developer.apple.com/library/safari/documentation/Tools/Conceptual/SafariExtensionGuide/Introduction/Introduction.html

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Intensity,

You can still open web pages using 1Password Go & Fill with JavaScript disabled in your browser, but will have to manually copy fields (e.g. from 1Password mini) and paste them into page forms. The Fill part for autofilling requires the extension, which requires JavaScript.

This discussion has been closed.